SCIWAY News No. 83 – March 2010
Previous Issues of SCIWAY News
In This Issue
- SC Picture of the Month – Barnwell Church of the Holy Apostles
- South Carolina's March Events
SC Picture of the Month – Barnwell Church of the Holy Apostles
The Church of the Holy Apostles stands as one of the last surviving antebellum structures in Barnwell. The town was decimated by Sherman's march, and the church itself was used as a stable for Union horses.
The Church of the Holy Apostles was constructed between 1856 and 1857 with donations from its newly-established congregation and from St. Michael's Church in Charleston.
It is known for its historic bell and magnificent stained-glass windows. Though most of the original panes were either shot or beaten in by the bayonets of Union soldiers, church members were able to remove the beautiful eastern window and bury it before the invading army arrived. This window was returned after the war, and the panes of the broken windows were repaired.
(Legend holds that the church's Communion silver, executed by Charles Tiffany himself, was likewise protected from Sherman's men – in this case by suspending it down a nearby well.)
The bell was a gift from Civil War refugee James Bolen, who came to Barnwell from nearby Jasper County and who selected the bell's large size so it could be heard by each family in the congregation, regardless of where they lived. Originally, the bell continued to ring until all members arrived. Today, the bell is rung once for each of the apostles – minus Judas.
Many noted men and women are buried in the church cemetery, including SC Governor Johnson Hagood. The church has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1972.
SCIWAY extends a special thanks to Melissa Roberts for contributing this picture, taken in February 2010 during a rare statewide snowfall.
South Carolina's March Events
As always, please be sure to check out our complete March calendar. Also, remember that all of our event calendars, for every month of the year, are available on SCIWAY's website 24/7/365 – just go to https://www.sciway.net/calendar.html.
- Flowertown Festival – Summerville – March 26-28, 2010
Spring is nearly here!
Consistently ranked one of the Top 20 events in the Southeast, the Summerville Flowertown Festival has been a South Carolina tradition since 1971. The three-day event features over 200 jury-selected artists from throughout the country who display their work for sale on the beautiful grounds of Azalea Park and on Main Street. Attendees also enjoy delicious food from local restaurants and fun activities and rides for children at the Children's Jubilee.
- March 4: Wonders of Writing Conference - Spartanburg - three featured authors share their insights on the writing process - site no longer available
Looking for South Carolina authors or books? Visit SCIWAY's SC book guide.
- March 4-7: Charleston Food & Wine Festival - entertainment, education, culinary traditions - benefits charities and scholarships
- March 5-6: Carolina First Reedy River Run - Greenville - 10K run, 5K run or walk, youth mile run, children's fun run
- March 6-7: Skirmish At Gamble's Hotel Civil War Reenactment - Florence - reenactments, camps - see history come alive!
- March 8-12: Juilliard in Aiken - concerts at various locations
- March 11-13: National Shag Dance Championships - Myrtle Beach - various skill levels - plus 'Shagging with the Stars'
Learn more about South Carolina's official state dance, the shag.
- March 11-14: Charleston Film Festival - categories include short, documentary, feature length - plus industry discussions
- March 13: Aiken Trials - thoroughbred races at Aiken Training Track plus tailgating - first leg of Aiken's Triple Crown events
- March 13: St. Patrick's Day Parade and Festival - North Myrtle Beach - street festival, children's area, live music and entertainment
- March 13: St. Pat's in Five Points - Columbia - "Get to the Green" 5K Run & 1 Mile Walk, live music, children's carnival
- March 13: Stiletto Stampede - Mt Pleasant - 100 yard dash in 3" heels - benefits MUSC Children's Hospital - event site no longer available
- March 16-20: Charleston Fashion Week - Marion Square - runway shows, bridal show, nearly 100 designers
- March 18: Taste of Lake Murray - Columbia - food, auctions, fundraiser for July 4th fireworks - site no longer available
- March 18-20: Patchwork Tales Storytelling Festival - Rock Hill - concerts, workshop, events for children
- March 19: Spring Tour of Homes - Beaufort - walking tour of the historic Old Point neighborhood, plus entertainment and a reception
- March 19-20: Hummingbird Festival - Woodford - food, music, crafts, children rides, car & tractor shows - site no longer available
- March 20: Aiken Spring Steeplechase - Aiken Triple Crown - Imperial Cup - horse racing
- March 20: Jazz Discovery Music Festival - Rock Hill - concerts, master classes - site no longer available
- March 20: Little River Bridge 8K Run / 5K Walk - Laurens - winds through historic districts, downtown area, and Little River Trail - site no longer available
- March 20-24: Jewish Film Festival - Columbia - films and documentaries by and about Jewish cultures - site no longer available
- March 26-27: Myrtle Beach Beer Fest - sample over 100 beers from around the world, live entertainment, food - site no longer available
- March 26-27: Plantation Tours of Prince George Winyah Parish - Georgetown - 20 historic plantations, sites - site no longer available
Learn more about South Carolina plantations.
- March 26-28: Aiken Horse Show - benefits Hitchcock Woods, the largest urban forest in America
- March 26-28: Flowertown Festival - Summerville - 200+ artists/craftsmen, gourmet food, children's jubilee, music - site no longer available
- March 26-28: RenoFest Bluegrass Music Festival - Hartsville - band competitions, concerts, Downtown Hoe-Down - event no longer held
- March 27: Carolina Cup - Camden - steeplechase horse racing, elaborate tailgate parties
- March 27: Cooper River Bridge Run - Charleston - world-class 10-K run and walk, wheelchair division, kids' run, finish festival
See beautiful pictures of the Cooper River Bridge.
- March 27: Home and Garden Tour - Aiken - tour historic homes, gardens - benefits St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church outreach projects - site no longer exists
- Please click here to find links for ALL March events.
© SCIWAY.net, LLC. SCIWAY News is written by the team at SCIWAY – with a lot of help from people throughout South Carolina. ISSN: 1527-3903.
You are welcome to distribute complete, unaltered copies of this issue to anyone in any format ... or to include parts of it in printed publications. But please indicate the source (SCIWAY News, March 2010) and include our web address (www.SCIWAY.net). Thanks!
Our mailing address is PO Box 13318, James Island, South Carolina 29422.
Subscribe or unsubscribe from SCIWAY News.
The SCIWAY News mailing list is not loaned or sold to anyone.
Comments and questions about this newsletter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back issues of SCIWAY News can be found here.
SCIWAY, pronounced "sky-way," is an acronym for South Carolina Information Highway.