SCIWAY News No. 85 – April 2010
Previous Issues of SCIWAY News
In This Issue
- SC Picture of the Month – Glencairn Garden in Rock Hill
- South Carolina's April Events
SC Picture of the Month – Glencairn Garden in Rock Hill
Started as a backyard garden in 1928, Glencairn Garden is now an 11-acre oasis located in Rock Hill. The garden is surrounded by an old residential neighborhood and has sidewalks which connect it to downtown, Winthrop University, and other small parks and greenways throughout Rock Hill.
Glencairn Garden was the original inspiration for the Come-See-Me Festival held each year in April (see our calendar below). The festival celebrates the city of Rock Hill and is one of the largest volunteer-run festivals in the Southeast.
Glencairn is an English-style garden and many residents enjoy picnicking on its expansive lawns and strolling along its shady walkways. It is also a popular place for weddings, school field trips, and community events. College classes from Winthrop are often held here when the weather is nice.
Plans to expand and revitalize Glencairn Garden are currently underway. The master plan includes more connections to surrounding neighborhoods, more ADA accessible routes, and more bus stops among many other improvements.
As you can see in this lovely picture, the garden explodes with blooms from late March to mid-April, with some 3,500 azalea bushes to enjoy. You will also find dogwoods, wisteria, and camellias.
SCIWAY extends a special thanks to Carol Gant who took this picture in April, 2007.
South Carolina's April Events
As always, please be sure to check out our complete April calendar. Also, remember that all of our event calendars, for every month of the year, are available on SCIWAY's website 24/7/365 – just go to https://www.sciway.net/calendar.html.
And speaking of Glencairn Garden ...
April is the perfect month to enjoy all 3,500 of the azaleas at Glencairn Garden – just "hop" on over to the Come-See-Me Festival, where you can enjoy lunch and a concert, grab a funnel cake, enter your favorite frog in the Mayor's Frog Jumping Contest, or attend a Teddy Bear Tea Party. There will also be a parade, fireworks, a kids' carnival, a fun run, a beach bash, a tennis tournament, a charity ball, and plenty of live music. This year features Come-See-Me's first ever Catawba Pow Wow.
Interesting note: Vernon Grant, creator of Kellogg's "Snap, Crackle, and Pop," was one of the original founders of the Come-See-Me Festival and designed its adorable mascot, "Glen the Frog"!
- April 1-17: Festival of Houses and Gardens - Historic Charleston Foundation - 8-10 properties per tour
- April 3: Bluegrass Under the Stars - Pendleton - four live bands plus fireworks - bring a blanket or stadium seat - site no longer exists
Learn more about bluegrass in South Carolina
- April 3: Clemson Easter Bunny Run 5K & Half Marathon - Plus egg hunt - benefits the Clemson Triathlon Club - site no longer exists
- April 3: Tartan Fest - Columbia - SC State Museum - Scottish & Highland music, dancing, food, demonstrations - page no longer exists
Learn more about the history of the Scots-Irish in South Carolina
- April 3-4: Historic Pendleton Spring Jubilee - Nearly 100 artists and crafters plus food, live music, museum tours
- April 8-11: Charleston International Film Festival - Over 60 not-yet-released films, shorts, and documentaries
- April 8-11: Charleston Race Week - International sailboat regatta - inshore and offshore races
- April 9-10: "Tale Spinners" Storytelling Gathering - Walhalla - live performances, workshops - site no longer exists
- April 10: April in Meggett - Charleston County - arts & craft festival, many items on display and for sale - site no longer exists
- April 10: Building Futures Autism Clinic 5K and Dog Walk - Myrtle Beach - choose from 5K & 1K runs or walks for Autism awareness - site no longer exists
- April 10: Heritage Festival - Landrum - local artisans, antique farm equipment & cars, children's area, live entertainment - event site no longer exists
- April 10: Limestone College 5K & 1-Mile Run/Walk - Gaffney - certified 5K course benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation - event site no longer exists
- April 10: 3-D Biking - St. Stephen - scenic, low-key 10-mile family bicycle ride plus lunch
- April 10: Top of the Hops Beer Festival - Greenville - sample beers from around the world, plus games, food and music - event site no longer exists
- April 10-11: Pet Fest - Mount Pleasant - exhibits, demonstrations, entertainment - don't forget your pup!
- April 10-18: Family Circle Cup - Daniel Island in Charleston County - WTA women's tennis tournament - renamed Volvo Car Open
- April 12: Monday After the Masters - North Myrtle Beach - celebrity Pro-Am charity golf tournament hosted by Hootie & The Blowfish
- April 12-18: Navy Week Celebration - Charleston - Navy bands, flight simulators, Blue Angels, and Leap Frogs Parachute Team - event site no longer exists
- April 12-18: Verizon Heritage Golf Tournament - Hilton Head - PGA men's golf tournament - 2011 renamed RBC Heritage Golf Tournament
Learn more about South Carolina golf courses
- April 14-18: Indie Grits Film Fest - Columbia - The Nickelodeon presents films from new media makers and pros
- April 15-17: Puddin' Swamp Festival - Turbeville - carnival, music, pet contest, Swamp Stomp street dance
- April 16-17: Pickens Azalea Festival - Music, helicopter and carriage rides, amusement rides & games, classic cars, crafts
- April 16-18: Blue Ridge Intertribal Pow Wow - Spartanburg - demonstrations, dancing, drumming, singing, storytelling, teepees - site no longer exists
Learn more about Native Americans in South Carolina
- April 16-18: Columbia International Festival - State Fairgrounds - parade, demonstrations, food, exhibits, shopping
- April 16-18: Olde Towne Artisans' Fair - North Augusta - artisans create traditional crafts at Living History Park
- April 16-18: World Grits Festival - St. George - parade, carnival, grits grinding, "Rolling in Grits" contest, 5K run, dunking booth
- April 17: Bark to the Park Walk - Columbia - 1-mile walk for dogs and their humans plus other activities - benefits homeless pets - site no longer exists
- April 17: CREATE South Conference - Myrtle Beach - learn about blogging, podcasting, video, social networking - registration is free - site no longer exists
- April 17: Dragon Boat Upstate Festival - Lake Hartwell - paddling events to benefit cancer research - site no longer exists
- April 17: Fort Lawn Spring Festival - Chester County - train rides, car show, storytelling, model railroaders, kiddie train, crafts - site no longer exists
- April 17: Iron City Festival - Blacksburg - car show, kid's parade, rides, games, health fair, cake contest
- April 17: Sea and Sand Festival - Folly Beach - music, carnival, art, food, beach dance, and 5K fun run, skate, or walk - site no longer available
- April 17: Spring Bonanza - McCormick - antique appraisal fair, home and garden show, Gold Mine opening, balloon sculptor - site no longer exists
- April 17, 21-24: Vietnam-Era Veterans Homecoming - Columbia - golf tournament, banquet, tours, and poker ride - page no longer exists
- April 17-25: Striped Bass Festival - Manning - fireworks, dances, parade, children's rides, pageant for "Miss Striped Bass"
- April 18-24: Kiawah Island Earth Week - TRASHformation Station, contests, games, family crafts, beach & river sweep - event site no longer available
- April 22: Earth Day in South Carolina - Come together to promote a cleaner, safer environment - many activities across SC - event site no longer available
- April 22-24: Rholetter's Spring Bluegrass Festival - Long Creek in Oconee County - bluegrass bands, open jams - camping too! - site no longer exists
Learn more about bluegrass in South Carolina
- April 23-24: A(ugusta) Baker's Dozen - Columbia - celebration of nationally-renowned children's authors and storytellers
Learn more about Augusta Baker
- April 23-24: Stone Soup Festival - Woodruff - storytelling workshop, award-winning storytellers, concert, art exhibit
- April 23-25: Colleton County Rice Festival - Walterboro - parade, crafts, 5K Rice Run, cooking contest, fireworks, street dance
- April 24: Arts International - Florence - cultural festival of performing & visual arts at Francis Marion University - page no longer exists
- April 24: Central Railroad Festival - Pickens County - bands, kids' fun, arts & crafts, and food booths
- April 24: Greer Earth Day Run - Half-marathon, 5K Race to Recycle, and kid's fun run
- April 24: Sparkleberry Country Fair - Columbia - rides, games, food, entertainment, crafts, tractors
- April 24-25: Art Market at Historic Honey Horn - Hilton Head - juried event - art on display and for sale - site no longer exists
- April 25: Blessing of the Fleet - Mount Pleasant - family activities celebrating the shrimping industry - page no longer exists
Learn more about shrimping in South Carolina
- April 27-29: Food for Thought Conference - Greenville - celebrates food, creative thinking, entrepreneurialism
- April 29 - May 1: Spring Festival on the Square - Abbeville - amusement rides, antique cars, talent show, Swingin' Medallions concert
- April 29 - May 2: SC Strawberry Festival - Fort Mill - music in the "Strawberry Jam," rides, pageant, recipe & eating contests, fireworks
- April 30 - May 1: Greer Family Fest - Live music, children's parade, KidsZone, Creation Station, arts & crafts, restaurant row
- April 30 - May 2: Orangeburg Festival of Roses - Petting zoo, arts & crafts, airplane rides, Princess & Queen of Roses
- April 30 - May 2: Spring Fling - Spartanburg - street festival - dozens of bands, art show, kids' carnival, food court
- Please click here to find links for ALL April events.
© SCIWAY.net, LLC. SCIWAY News is written by the team at SCIWAY – with a lot of help from people throughout South Carolina. ISSN: 1527-3903.
You are welcome to distribute complete, unaltered copies of this issue to anyone in any format ... or to include parts of it in printed publications. But please indicate the source (SCIWAY News, April 2010) and include our web address (www.SCIWAY.net). Thanks!
Our mailing address is PO Box 13318, James Island, South Carolina 29422.
Subscribe or unsubscribe from SCIWAY News.
The SCIWAY News mailing list is not loaned or sold to anyone.
Comments and questions about this newsletter should be sent to email@example.com.
Back issues of SCIWAY News can be found here.
SCIWAY, pronounced "sky-way," is an acronym for South Carolina Information Highway.