Mitchelville – More Information
South Carolina SC African-Americans Mitchelville More Information
If you would like more information about the history of the Civil War, Hilton Head, Mitchelville, African-American slavery, or the "Port Royal Experiment," look for these books and articles at your local library or ask your librarian to get them for you through Inter-library Loan.
These books, about slavery and freedom, are especially good for younger readers:
- Carse, Robert. 1981. Department of the South: Hilton Head Island in the Civil War. State Printing Company, Columbia.
- Everett, Susanne. 1991. History of Slavery. Chartwell Books, Secaucus, New Jersey.
- Higginson, Thomas Wentworth. 1984. Army Life in a Black Regiment (with an introduction by Howard N. Meyer). W.W. Norton, New York.
- Holmgren, Virginia C. 1959. Hilton Head Island: A Sea Island Chronicle. Hilton Head Island Publishing Company, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- Hurmence, Belinda. 1989. Before Freedom, When I Just Can Remember: Twenty-Seven Oral Histories of Former South Carolina Slaves. John F. Blair, Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- Martin, Josephine W., editor. 1977. "Dear Sister": Letters Written on Hilton Head Island, 1867. Beaufort Book Company, Beaufort, South Carolina.
- Myers, Walter Dean. 1991. Now Is Your Time!: The African-American Struggle for Freedom. Harper Trophy, New York.
- Rose, Willie Lee. 1964. Rehearsal for Reconstruction: The Port Royal Experiment. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Trinkley, Michael, editor. 1986. Indian and Freedman Occupation at the Fish Haul Site (38BU805), Beaufort County, South Carolina. Research Series 7. Chicora Foundation, Inc., Columbia.
- Hansen, Joyce. 1988. Out From This Place. Avon Books, New York.
- Lester, Julius. 1968. To Be A Slave. Scholastic, New York.
- McCurdy, Michael, editor. 1994. Escape from Slavery: The Boyhood of Frederick Douglass in His Own Words. Alfred A. Knopf, New York.
- McKissack, Patricia C. and Frederick McKissack. 1992. Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman? Scholastic, New York.