Grave Matters – For More Information
South Carolina SC African-Americans Grave Matters – Introduction More Information
If you would like more information about African-American graveyards and cemeteries or about the preservation of these resources, look for these books and articles at your local library or ask your librarian to get them for you through Inter-library Loan.
- Creel, Margaret Washington. 1988. "A Peculiar People:" Slave Religion and Community-Culture Among the Gullahs. New York: New York University Press.
- Fenn, Elizabeth A. 1985. Honoring the Ancestors. Southern Exposure (September-October), 42-47.
- Nichols, Elaine. 1989. The Last Miles of the Way: African-American Homegoing Traditions 1890-Present. Columbia: South Carolina State Museum.
- Parsons, Elsie Clews. 1923. Folk-Lore of the Sea Islands, South Carolina. Memoirs of the American Folk-Lore Society 16.
- Rathbun, Ted A. 1987. Health and Disease at a South Carolina Plantation: 1840-1870. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 74(20):239-253.
- Strangstad, Lynette. 1988. A Graveyard Preservation Primer. Nashville: American Association for State and Local History.
- Preservation of Historic Burial Grounds. Information Series 76. Washington, D.C.: National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- Thompson, Robert Farris. 1983. Flash of the Spirit: African and Afro-American Art and Philosophy. New York: Random House.
- Trinkley, Michael and Debi Hacker-Norton. 1984. Analysis of Coffin Hardware from 38CH778, Charleston County, South Carolina. Research Series 3. Columbia: Chicora Foundation, Inc.
- Twining, Mary Arnold. 1977. An Examination of African Retentions in the Folk Culture of the South Carolina and Georgia Sea Islands. Ph.D. Dissertation, Indiana University. Ann Arbor: University Microfilms.
- Vlach, John Michael. 1978. The Afro-American Tradition in Decorative Arts. Cleveland: The Cleveland Museum of Art.
- Writers' Program. 1986. Drums and Shadows: Survival Studies Among the Georgia Coastal Negroes. Athens: University of Georgia Press (originally published 1940).