South Carolina SC Organizations SC Education Organizations
Also see: South Carolina Education
FEATURED SC Education Organization
Feature Your SC Education Organization Here
SC Private School Accreditation Organizations
Private schools in South Carolina are governed by very few laws, and you may want to research a school's accreditation before enrolling your child as some schools do not meet the requirements of state colleges.
SC Literacy Organizations
The following groups work to promote literacy through training and/or book distribution in South Carolina. Many are locally based, but some focus on regions or the state as a whole.
- Children's Book Bank of South Carolina
Children's Book Bank of South Carolina promotes literacy in Greenville County and Spartanburg County by collecting books and distributing them to at-risk children.
- First Books of Beaufort
This organization encourages literacy by reading to and distributing books to Title I schools in Beaufort County.
- Liberty Hill Improvement Council
This North Charleston group seeks to increase literacy in students reading below their grade level in the Liberty Hill community.
- Limos for Learning
Based in Laurens, this group promotes literacy by motivating and rewarding elementary students of all academic levels who demonstrate the persistence and determination necessary to improve their reading skills.
- Reach Out and Read Carolinas
Part of a nationwide movement, Reach out and Read Carolinas promotes childhood reading as part of pediatric visits. It is supported by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- South Carolina Association of School Librarians
The South Carolina Association of School Librarians advocates for strong school library programs.
- South Carolina State Council of the International Reading Association
The South Carolina State Council of the International Reading Association provides a forum for individuals who are concerned with the teaching and improvement of reading in South Carolina; their primary goal is to promote literacy through the improvement of reading instruction, to encourage reading as a lifetime tool for learning, and to foster the formation of the reading habit.
- Trident Literacy Association
This volunteer organization offers free tutoring and literacy education to adults in Berkeley County, Charleston County, and Dorchester County.
SC Education Organizations & Resources
- American Association of University Women of South Carolina
With branches throughout the state, this group advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.
- Buying South Carolina
This blog exposes New York real estate investor Howard Rich's contributions to SC candidates in exchange for their support of his plans to privatize SC public schools via school vouchers
- Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention and Advancement
CERRA'S mission is to provide collaborative leadership in the recruitment, retention, and advancement of outstanding educators for all children in South Carolina. The agency was established by the Commission on Higher Education and is funded by the South Carolina General Assembly.
- Chucktown Squash Scholars
This Charleston group hopes to combine the sport of squash with academic tutoring.
- Communities In Schools of the Charleston Area
The mission of Communities In Schools is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
- Communities In Schools of the Midlands
This Columbia-area organization encourages students to stay in school and improve their academics.
- Corridor of Shame
This 2005 documentary illuminates disparities in schools along the I-95 corridor in South Carolina.
- Educational Foundation of Lower Florence County
This Lake City foundation provides grants to fund educational programs for Florence County School District Three public schools; the foundation focuses on academic performance with an emphasis on literacy and numeracy.
- EnTech 281: The GreenVillains
This nonprofit organization in Greenville promotes engineering and technology through FIRST robotics teams and community outreach.
- Galilee Institute for Human Development
Based in Orangeburg, the Galilee Institute seeks to build strong kids, families, and communities through education empowerment.
- Head Start | Program Locator - searchable database
This federal program promotes school readiness in young children from low-income families through local programs. Head Start and Early Head Start programs support the mental, social, and emotional development of children from birth to age five.
- Healing Species
This Orangbeurg-based nonprofit seeks to teach compassion, prevent violence, and change lives through an intervention curriculum using rescued dogs.
- Junior Achievement of Greater South Carolina
This chapter of the national Junior Achievement organization serves 34 South Carolina counties and connects young people with community business leaders to help students develop entrepreneurial skills and financial savvy through the execution of a small business endeavor.
- Junior Achievement of Upstate South Carolina
Covering the counties of Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens, this chapter of the national Junior Achievement organization is dedicated to inspiring and preparing kindergarten through 12th-grade students to succeed in a global economy.
- Kids Chance of South Carolina
This nonprofit provides scholarships and support to the dependents of South Carolina workers who have been seriously or fatally injured in work-related accidents. It is based in Georgetown.
- Kingdom Kids Foundation
This Columbia-based group uses biblical principles to focus on early childhood education and early literacy through workshops, parenting classes, and summer bible camps for young children
- LifeManagement Center
With Branches in Charleston and Mount Pleasant, this organization helps children, adolescents, and adults identify and overcome a wide variety of learning challenges which include learning disabilities, social/behavioral difficulties, ADHDn and dyslexia.
- National Beta Club
South Carolina is home to the headquarters of the National Beta Club, located in Spartanburg.
- National Educational Telecommunications Association
Based in Columbia, this national professional association strives to foster public television people by providing quality programming, educational resources, professional development, management support, and national representation.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Clemson University
This program provides academic and recreational courses for seniors in the South Carolina Upstate.
- Pee Dee Education Center
This consortium of 16 school districts, Coker College, and Francis Marion University was established in 1967 to provide support for the school districts in the Pee Dee region of South Carolina.
- Personal Pathways to Success
A function of the State of South Carolina, this agency operates 12 regional locations which provide resources for K-12 students to learn about education and career options.
- Public Charter School Alliance of South Carolina
The mission of the Public Charter School Alliance of South Carolina is to strengthen public education for South Carolina students by supporting and advocating for high quality public charter schools.
- Public Education Partners of Greenville County
Public Education Partners collaborates with the community, educators, and elected officials to support and strengthen public education and student achievement in Greenville County Schools.
- The School Foundation - fostering education in Florence School District 1
- South Carolina Academy of Science
- South Carolina Afterschool Alliance
- South Carolina Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
- South Carolina Alliance of Black School Educators
- South Carolina Association for Educational Technology
- South Carolina Association for Institutional Research
- South Carolina Association for Middle Level Education
- South Carolina Association for Pupil Transportation - SCAPT
- South Carolina Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- South Carolina Association for the Education of Young Children
- South Carolina Association of School Administrators
- South Carolina Association of School Business Officials
- South Carolina Association of School Librarians
- South Carolina Association of School Psychologists
- South Carolina Council for African American Studies
- South Carolina Council for the Social Studies
- South Carolina Education Association
- South Carolina Education Oversight Committee
- South Carolina Future Business Leaders of America
- South Carolina Future Minds - working to improve public education in SC
- South Carolina Geographic Alliance
- South Carolina High School League
- South Carolina Higher Education Assessment Network
- South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities
- South Carolina Music Educators Association
- South Carolina Music Teachers Association
- South Carolina Odyssey of the Mind - Gaffney - uses open-ended problems to teach K-college students to think outside the box
- South Carolina PTA
- South Carolina School Boards Association
- South Carolina Science Council
- South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium - state agency
- South Carolina State Plant Management Association
- Strides - Greenville - provides affordable tutoring to those in need
- Students First South Carolina - works to improve education in the state
Related US Education Resources
- DonorsChoose - teachers submit ideas for materials and experiences their students need