SC Governors – Robert Francis Withers Allston, 1854-1858
South Carolina SC History SC Governors Governor Robert Francis Withers Allston
Also see: SC Government
- Born: April 21, 1801 in All Saint's Parish, South Carolina
- Died: April 7, 1864 near Georgetown, SC
- Buried: Georgetown, SC in Prince George's Churchyard
- Religion: Episcopalian
- Political Party: Democrat
- West Point Military Academy - graduated 1821
- Colonel, South Carolina Militia
Major Events and Accomplishments, 1856–1858
- The General Assembly increased funding for South Carolina's public school system.
- The US Supreme Court made the Dred Scott decision - 1857
Other Government Positions
- South Carolina House of Representatives, 1828-1832
- South Carolina Senate, 1850-1856
Other Accomplishments, Honors, Distinctions
- Allston authored A Memoir of the Introduction and Planting of Rice in South Carolina, Report on Public Schools, and An Essay on the Sea Coast Corps.
- Allston won a medal at the Paris Exposition for the cultivation of rice, 1855-1856
- On December 9, 1856, the South Carolina General Assembly elected Allston for governor by secret ballot.