South Carolina – Military Bases
South Carolina SC Military Bases
Military Bases in South Carolina
Historic Military Bases and Forts in South Carolina
- Beaufort Arsenal - built in 1798, its history traces back to the Revolutionary War, and is now a museum.
- Camp Croft - Spartanburg - WWII Army Infantry Replacement Center from 1940-1946 - majority of site is now Croft State Natural Area Park
– More about Camp Croft - includes history, pictures, and information on site cleanup
- Donaldson Air Force Base - Greenville - Once called "The Airlift Capital of the World" for its contributions in the Berlin airlift, Korean War, and Cold War. Closed in 1962 and is now an industrial park.
- Fort Johnson - James Island - built in 1759, this fort was actively used during the Revolutionary War, and fired the first shot of the Civil War.
- Fort Sumter - Charleston - built after the War of 1812 as one of a series of forts protecting the southern coast of the United States.
- Fort Moultrie - Sullivan's Island - historic Revolutionary war fort that is now a museum.
More SC Military Resources