South Carolina – Military Bases
South Carolina SC Military Bases
Active US Military Bases in South Carolina
Historic Forts and Military Bases in South Carolina
- Beaufort Arsenal - Built in 1798, its history traces back to the Revolutionary War; it now houses a museum and doubles as an event site.
- Camp Croft - Spartanburg - This WWII Army Infantry Replacement Center operated from 1940-1946 and now comprises the site of Croft State Natural Area Park.
– More about Camp Croft - Includes history, pictures, and information on site cleanup
- Donaldson Air Force Base - Greenville - Once called "The Airlift Capital of the World" for its contributions in the Berlin airlift, Korean War, and Cold War, Donaldson closed in 1962 and is now used as an industrial park.
- Fort Johnson - James Island - Built in 1759, this fort was actively used during the Revolutionary War; soldiers here later fired the first shot of the Civil War.
- Fort Moultrie - Sullivan's Island - This historic Revolutionary war fort now serves as a museum.
- Fort Sumter - Charleston - Fort Sumter was built after the War of 1812 as one of a series of forts protecting the southern coast of the United States.
More SC Military Resources