Lake Murray, South Carolina
South Carolina SC Lakes Lake Murray
Lake Murray, named in honor of chief engineer William S. Murray, was completed in 1930 and is owned by SCE&G. It covers approximately 78 square miles of land and provides electricity for South Carolina's entire Midlands region.
Originally inhabited by the Catawba and Cherokee Indians, the area that is now Lake Murray was ultimately settled by European immigrants, primarily of Dutch and German origin. In order to build Lake Murray, the Lexington Water Power Company (SCE&G's predecessor) relocated 5,000 citizens and removed three churches, six schools, and 2,000 graves. The Saluda Dam, which was once the largest earthen dam in the world, is 1.5 miles wide and 208 feet high.
The largest part of Lake Murray is in Lexington County, but portions of it also go into Saluda, Newberry, and Richland counties. Lexington is the largest city near Lake Murray. Here is a map of the Lexington area.
History of Lake Murray
Recreation, Entertainment, Tourism
Real Estate, Relocation
Media, Information Services
Schools, Colleges, Libraries, Museums
Hospitals, Churches, Helping Organizations
South Carolina's Site of the Day
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2013 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.