South Carolina Picture Project

Marsh-Johnson House – Saluda, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Saluda County Photos  |  Marsh-Johnson House


Edit This Page  |  Leave A Comment

This two-story log home in Saluda dates to the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. While there is no definitive record on the year the house was built, documentation shows that 300 surrounding acres were granted to Ogden Cockroft in 1773. In 1804 Cockroft sold this land to Captain Bryan Marsh. While Cockroft may have built this dwelling before selling the tract, architectural details such as hardware indicate that it was constructed some time in the early 1800s. Cockroft also owned another large tract of land on which he may have built his home. Regardless of when the house was built and by whom, an Edgefield District map from 1817 records Captain Marsh living here during that year (Saluda County was created in 1895 from a portion of Edgefield County).

Marsh-Johnson House

Michael Miller of Spartanburg, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Marsh was a successful – and subsequently, wealthy – planter, owning far more property and slaves than most landowners in Edgefield District at the time. From 1810 through 1820 he expanded his holdings from 480 acres and 18 slaves to 760 acres and 30 slaves. While the number of slaves may seem small compared to the large number required to cultivate the rice crops of the Lowcountry, most agrarians from the backcountry owned few slaves, if any. Rice planters needed around 200 or more slaves to operate their fields, while cotton plantations used around 25 at most. Cotton was the primary cash crop grown in this part of the state.

Marsh Johnson House seen form the side

Michael Miller of Spartanburg, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Following the 1817 Edgefield District map, no records of the property exist until 1846 when a plat records the tract as being owned by Josiah Howell. That year, it was sold to Isaac Johnson. It remained in the Johnson family for nearly a century when in 1945 it was sold to John Henry Hazel. At the time, the surrounding land numbered 225 acres. In 1978 Hazel deeded the house and 62 acres to his granddaughter, Virginia Witt. Today the home, which is one of the earliest remaining log structures in South Carolina, is owned by the Saluda Historical Society. Witt deeded the home and one acre to the society in 1990.

Marsh Johnson House seen from the rear

Michael Miller of Spartanburg, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

In 2013 the Saluda Historical Society restored the residence for use as a house museum. The group received a matching grant from the Daughters of the American Revolution for $3,000 for the restoration, which included stabilizing the home’s interior as well as making some cosmetic changes. Below are two photos of the Marsh-Johnson House prior to its restoration.

Marsh-Johnson House Pre-Restoration

Edward Heintz of Spartanburg, 2009 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Marsh-Johnson House in Saluda County

Bill Fitzpatrick of Taylors, 2013 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Marsh-Johnson House is listed in the National Register:

The Marsh-Johnson House (Robert Johnson House) is a two-story farmhouse of log construction sheathed in weatherboard. The house is believed to have been built before 1817. The Marsh-Johnson House embodies construction technology and design characteristics of the rural South Carolina upcountry of the early nineteenth century. It is one of the earliest and intact log residences that has been identified in the state. The house rests on massive brick piers, which are laid in Flemish bond. A one-story, shed-roofed porch with wooden foundation piers and four rough hewn tree trunks supporting the roof spans the fa├žade. Many of the windows retain their batten shutters. The central hall farmhouse was common in South Carolina from the colonial settlements until the early twentieth century. Log buildings in South Carolina were common into the mid-nineteenth century, especially in areas where there were substantial stands of large timber. Flemish bond brickwork and glazed headers, found here in the double-shouldered chimney, were in use in South Carolina from the eighteenth century into the early years of the nineteenth century.


Marsh-Johnson House Info


Address: Intersection of S-41-21 and S-41-37, Saluda, SC 29138
GPS Coordinates: 33.906967,-81.829771


Marsh-Johnson House Map




Marsh-Johnson House – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Marsh-Johnson House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Marsh-Johnson House - Related Entries




The Governor Thomas Bennett House

Tabby Manse
Tabby Manse
Beaufort


Bennett-Sistare House

Hanover House

Koger House

Greenleaf Villa

Historic Homestead Calhoun County Museum

Fleming Jenkinson House




SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.