Hendrix House – Batesburg-Leesville, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Lexington County Photos | Hendrix House
Edit This Page | Leave A Comment
Also known as the Mitchell-Hendrix House, this Neoclassical home was built in Leesville in 1888 for John Andrew Jeter Mitchell (Batesburg and Leesville consolidated in 1993 to form the municipality of Batesburg-Leesville). The house was passed to Mitchell’s daughter and son-in-law, Henry Franklin Hendrix, who remodeled it in 1907, giving the home its present appearance. A farmer and merchant, Hendrix was prominent in the Leesville community. He founded the Bank of Leesville and also served as mayor. The house remained in the Hendrix family until 2000.
The imposing historic home, which measures 4,675 square feet, sat in the center of the town’s commercial district. In 2016 a developer proposed demolishing or relocating the home to make room for commercial property, in particular a fast food restaurant (Taco Bell). The developer, Frank Cason, offered the home for free to anyone willing to move it. Sadly, no one was willing to incur the costs of moving such a large structure. The home was razed in October of 2016.
The Hendrix House is listed in the National Register as the Henry Franklin Hendrix House:
The Henry Franklin Hendrix House is significant as the finest Neo-Classical mansion in the Leesville community. The house is a two-story weatherboard residence under a pressed shingle metal roof, set on a brick foundation. This house was first built in 1888 by John Andrew Jeter Mitchell, father of Mrs. Henry Franklin Hendrix. In 1907 it was remodeled by Henry Franklin Hendrix as it is today. A central projecting portico, supported by four colossal Ionic columns embellishes the façade, which is surmounted by a flat roof with a turned balustrade above a molded entablature. Small Ionic columns support the first story porch, which extends beyond the façade and repeats the portico balustrade. The same balustrade occurs across the width of the second story uncovered porch. H.F. Hendrix was a locally prominent farmer and merchant, who founded and served as president of the Bank of Leesville. He also served as mayor of Leesville.
More Pictures of the Hendrix House
Hendrix House Info
Address: 177 East Church Street, Batesburg-Leesville, SC 29070
GPS Coordinates: 33.915544,-81.525598
Hendrix House Map
Hendrix House Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Hendrix House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!