Little River Swing Bridge – Little River, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Horry County Photos | Little River Swing Bridge
This swing bridge in Little River pivots on demand to allow vehicles to cross the Intracoastal Waterway. Built in 1935 and restored in 1980, the bridge connects the cities of Little River and North Myrtle Beach.
Reflections on the Little River swing bridge
David Smith tells us of his photo: “This beautiful swing bridge has been part of my life’s travels between Little River and North Myrtle Beach since I was in middle school. If you plan to cross it in the summer be prepared to wait, as it allows boats traveling the ICW (Intracoastal Waterway) to pass back and forth.”
Contributor Shelley Ridout was able to capture her unusual image of the bridge: “This is the Little River swing bridge from the landing, after one of our infrequent snows.”
Moveable Bridges in South Carolina
These are the only moveable bridges left in our state:
1) Harbor River Bridge – US 21 over the Harbor River – Swing bridge – Scheduled for replacement
2) Woods Memorial Bridge – US 21 Business over the Beaufort River – Swing bridge
3) Wappoo Creek Bridge – SC 171 – Drawbridge
4) Ben Sawyer Bridge – SC 703 over the Intracoastal Waterway – Swing bridge
5) Little River Swing Bridge – County Road 26-20
6) Socastee Swing Bridge – SC 544 (Dick Pond Road)
7-8) Ashley River Memorial Bridges – US 17 over the Ashley River – Two side-by-side drawbridges
9) Sixth Street Bridge – railroad over the Savannah River – Drawbridge (no longer functioning)
UPDATE: Since this list was created, the Wando River Swing Bridge between Charleston and Berkeley counties has been replaced by a fixed-span bridge.
Little River Swing Bridge Info
Address: Sea Mountain Highway, Little River, SC 29566
GPS Coordinates: 33.852057,-78.656526
Little River Swing Bridge Map
Little River Swing Bridge Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Little River Swing Bridge, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!