Stewart-Parker House – Georgetown, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Georgetown County Photos | Stewart-Parker House
This home in historic Georgetown is one of the city’s oldest. Built in 1740 by Robert Stewart, the august manse was originally Georgian in style with a brick exterior. Not until wealthy merchant Daniel Tucker purchased the estate in 1787, following Stewart’s death, was the house was transformed into the Federal-style, stuccoed residence it is today. Tucker was also responsible for adding the rounded rooms to either side of the home. It is believed that George Washington slept here on his 1791 tour.
Benjamin Allston, Sr. purchased the home after 1825, and by the twentieth century it was owned by the Parker family. In 1979 the Parkers sold the property to First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Georgetown, which later became Carolina First. The bank then donated it to the Parker-Stewart Foundation in 2001. The organization leased the building to the City of Georgetown the following year.
Since 2006 the estate has been owned by the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina and is used to house offices and host events. Facing the Sampit River (as seen below), the location of the Stewart-Parker House makes it a popular venue for weddings and other formal gatherings. The property is also part of the Kaminski House Museum.
More Pictures of the Stewart-Parker House
The Stewart-Parker House is listed in the National Register as part of the Georgetown Historic District as the Robert Stewart House:
Third oldest city in South Carolina, Georgetown is significant historically, militarily, agriculturally and architecturally. Georgetown was laid out as a city in 1729. In 1735 Georgetown was conveyed to three trustees. A plan of the city was attached to the deed and was the first plan to be preserved. Included in the plan were 174.5 acres for the town and 100 acres for a commons. The town acreage was divided into blocks by five streets running at right angles to the river. Much physical evidence of the past remains. The oldest existing structure in Georgetown is a dwelling which dates from ca. 1737. There are approximately twenty-eight additional 18th century structures as well as eighteen buildings erected during the 19th century prior to the Civil War. The existing structures—homes, churches, public buildings—are of both historical and architectural significance and are situated on heavily shaded, wide streets. The architecture ranges from the simplicity of early colonial, or Georgian, to the elaborate rice plantation era, such as Classical Revival.
Stewart-Parker House Info
Address: 1019 Front Street, Georgetown, SC 29440
GPS Coordinates: 33.368216,-79.287168
Stewart-Parker House Map
Stewart-Parker House Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Stewart-Parker House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
Stewart-Parker House - Related Entries
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
© 2018 South Carolina Picture Project, All Rights Reserved