New Hope ARP Church – Woodward, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Fairfield County Photos | New Hope ARP Church
Edit This Page | Leave A Comment
Though quaint in size, New Hope Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (ARP) in the Fairfield County community of Woodward exhibits a detailed architectural style reflective of the prosperous post-Reconstruction era during which it was built. Completed in 1886 along with its Session House – where the church’s governing body would meet – it is the third house of worship used by the New Hope ARP congregation, which organized on September 19, 1796.
The congregation originally met in a brush arbor called Carnahan’s Stand (also spelled Kierneyhan and Kerneyham, among other variations), which was located near the old cemetery behind the current church to the east. After a few years a log cabin-type structure was built about a quarter of a mile from the current church and served the growing congregation until 1830. The church was led by the Reverend John Hemphill during this time, who served from the congregation’s inception until his death in 1832.
Around 1830 the members built a church on land donated by Dr. Walter Brice. As the church continued to grow, so did the need for a new church in the late nineteenth century. To accommodate the congregation, this stately structure was completed in 1886 on land donated by S.G. Brice. Both he and Dr. Walter Brice are buried in New Hope ARP’s churchyard.
The South Carolina Picture Project thanks Steuart Brice as well as the Fairfield County Museum for much of the above information.
New Hope ARP Church is listed in the National Register:
New Hope A.R.P. Church and Session House were constructed ca. 1886. This church, with its decorated belfry and its intact session house, is significant as an interesting example of local interpretation of stylistic elements of religious architecture. The meeting house form church is a one-story, weatherboarded, frame church with an apsidal plan and a narthex pavilion. A bracketed belfry with bellcast roof, gablets, and finial surmounts the front-gabled roof. The gable end features a boxed cornice with returns and a blind oculus. Façade fenestration with shelf architraves has a double-leaf door surmounted by a ten-light transom flanked by single, large-paned, four-over-four, shuttered windows. Side elevations have windows identical to those of the façade. The interior walls are plastered above narrow-beaded-board wainscoting. The rear balcony displays a turned balustrade. Alterations include a 1970 left wing and the front steps. The session house is a ten by twelve foot weatherboarded frame building with a gable end roof with boxed cornices.
New Hope ARP Church Info
Address: 9172 State Road S-20-22, Woodward, SC 29014
GPS Coordinates: 34.509413,-81.246135
New Hope ARP Church Map
New Hope ARP Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of New Hope ARP Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
New Hope ARP Church - Related Entries
You may not use them in any form without written consent.