Harmony United Methodist Church – Johnston, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Edgefield County Photos | Harmony United Methodist Church
Edit This Page | Leave A Comment
The roots of Harmony United Methodist Church in Johnston can be traced to 1825 – almost 50 years before the town was chartered – when George Johnson sold four acres of land near present-day Johnston to a group of Methodists for the building of a church known as Moor’s Meeting House. By 1832 the congregation had change its name to Ebeneza Church. Around 1834 the group relocated about five miles from the original site and built a new church, calling it Harmony Methodist for Harmon Gallman, who donated more than three acres for the new church. This church sat near the site of the present church building.
In 1896 yet another new church was built for the congregation, this one located directly behind the current sanctuary. Also made of wood, it was eventually sold to P.C. Stevens, who used the structure as a barn. Before the church was sold, however, plans were made for a new church in 1912. By 1913 the Gothic church that stands today was completed, and it continues to house Harmony United Methodist Church. The building was renovated in 1950.
Harmony Methodist Church is a sister church of Johnston Methodist Church, with both congregations sharing a pastor.
Harmony United Methodist Church Info
Address: 98 Bouknight Road, Johnston, SC 29832
GPS Coordinates: 33.800615,-81.841689
Harmony United Methodist Church Map
Harmony United Methodist Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Harmony United Methodist Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!