South Carolina Picture Project

Koger-Murray-Carroll-House – St. George, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Dorchester County Photos  |  Koger-Murray-Carroll-House


Edit This Page  |  Leave A Comment

This imperial structure stands over the surrounding countryside outside the rural town of St. George. Known by many names, this Georgian plantation house is today most commonly referred to as the Koger-Murray-Carroll-House in honor of its previous owners. While the exact date of construction is unknown, it is thought to be the oldest house in Dorchester County.

Koger House

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Reported to be the only home between St. George and Branchville, it served as a stagecoach stop along what was known as the Orangeburgh Road on the Mills Atlas of 1825. This road served as the main route between Charleston and inland settlements, but it was mostly abandoned when the Augusta-Charleston Highway (Highway 78) was constructed around 1927.

Koger House Mills Atlas

Mills Atlas, 1825 | Library of Congress

The workmanship in the house is impressive, and it is noted that the black cypress timber used to create it was harvested from the property. Lumber was cut with whip-saws, it is said to have taken roughly 12 years to complete the process. The house rests on massive brick pillars which are visible underneath the porch. The house sat abandoned for many years and was even used as a barn for some time. The property was donated by the then-owners, Mr. and Mrs. Fitzhugh Sweatman, to the Upper Dorchester County Historical Society with the hopes of restoration.

SCDAH Carroll Place

The Upper Dorchester County Historical Society was able to secure funding thanks to the Transportation Enhancement Grant, which paid to stabilize the foundation and roof of the building. To raise more money for the project, the historical society sold naming rights to each 9-over-9 paned window, allowing donors to memorialize their donation in a lasting way. The house boasts large and airy rooms with impeccable details preserved with portions of the materials left intentionally raw so the construction process of the home could be admired. The home’s exterior can be viewed at any time, but the interior is open by appointment or special tours only.

Koger House

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

More Pictures of the Koger-Murray-Carroll-House


Koger House

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger House

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger Plantation

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger Plantation

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger Plantation

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger Plantation

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger Plantation

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger House

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Koger House

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Koger-Murray-Carroll House is listed in the National Register:

The Carroll Place, a plain Georgian I-House dwelling, is one of the oldest plantation houses in what is now Dorchester County. Its builder, Joseph Koger, was prominent in the political affairs of the area. The house appears on the Robert Mills survey of 1820. The clapboard single house is of black cypress construction and rests upon massive, low brick pillars laid in English bond. The hip roof is pierced on the rear slope by two single chimneys. On one of these, the date 1829 appears, possibly indicating a completion or remodeling date for the structure. The veranda has a hipped roof, is supported by six wooden posts, and shelters five bays, the center one being an eight-paneled door surmounted by a three-paned flush transom. This home belonged to several prominent state government officials: Joseph Koger, who represented the Parish of St. George, Dorchester, in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1806 to 1812 and the South Carolina Senate from 1818 until 1838; John S. Murray, who served in the South Carolina Senate from 1840 to 1844; and James Carroll, who represented Edgefield District in both the State House of Representatives and Senate before becoming chancellor of the Court of Equity in 1859. Approximately 150 feet from the house is a grave marker dating from 1837 that marks the graves of three Koger children. Listed in the National Register July 25, 1974.


Koger-Murray-Carroll-House Info


Address: 119 Sandy Branch Road, St. George, SC 29477
GPS Coordinates: 33.128610,-80.635853
Website: https://www.scdchs.com/


Koger-Murray-Carroll-House Map




Koger-Murray-Carroll-House – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Koger-Murray-Carroll-House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Koger-Murray-Carroll-House - Related Entries




The Governor Thomas Bennett House

Tabby Manse
Tabby Manse
Beaufort


Bennett-Sistare House

Hanover House

Koger House

Greenleaf Villa

Historic Homestead Calhoun County Museum

Fleming Jenkinson House




SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.