South Carolina Picture Project

St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church – Charleston, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Charleston County Photos  |  St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church


Edit This Page  |  Leave A Comment

This Charleston church with striking marbled columns was built in 1839 and is the third to serve its congregation. Founded in 1788 when the Right Reverend John Carroll sent the Reverend Matthew Ryan to Charleston from Ireland to start a parish, it was the first Roman Catholic church established in the Carolinas or Georgia. Under Father Ryan’s direction the congregation acquired a Methodist meeting house on this site for the burgeoning church in August of 1789.

St. Mary's Charleston

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2005 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

When the Reverend Ryan was transferred to Maryland at the end of 1789 after suffering an illness in Charleston, he was replaced by the Reverend Doctor Thomas Keating. The Reverend Keating continued the work begun by Father Ryan, permanently establishing the Catholic congregation and christening the parish St. Mary’s. However, he also became ill and relocated to Philadelphia, dying of yellow fever in 1793.

The meeting house that initially housed St. Mary’s was too dilapidated for the growing congregation to continue using, and plans were made to replace it with a new building. Construction on a brick sanctuary began in 1801, and the first service was held in the new church in 1806. Sadly, the brick church did not serve St. Mary’s for long; it was a casualty of the the Great Fire of April 28, 1838. Yet, the congregation was unbowed by the disaster and laid the cornerstone for the present building that August. The present Classical Revival church received its first worshipers on June 9, 1839. Though it suffered damage during the Civil War and the earthquake of 1886, the church survived both events as well as Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and stands as one of the Holy City’s most notable structures.

Church records show that the first trustees of the church were Irish immigrants, as were its early members. Also comprising St. Mary’s in its formation years were French refugees from the West Indies fleeing the 1793 slave insurrection in Santo Domingo. Two daughters of the Marquis de Grasse, who led the voyage from Santo Domingo to Charleston, are interred in the graveyard of St. Mary’s. In 1820 Pope Pius VII established the Diocese of Charleston, naming Father John England as its first Bishop. Notable interior features of St. Mary’s include a painting of the Crucifixion by Charleston artist John S. Cogdell, masterpiece replicas by Caesare Porta of Rome, Italy, and a Jardine organ built in 1874.

The church has undergone several restoration projects. Most recently, a project revealed faux charcoal marbling beneath the white finish of the exterior columns. The columns were restored in a similar pattern to reflect the historic detail. Today, the columns are a hallmark of Hasell Street.

St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church is listed in the National Register:

St. Mary’s Church is considered the first established Roman Catholic Church in the Carolinas and Georgia. In 1789 trustees for the church purchased the property which it still occupies. In 1791 it was incorporated by the General Assembly of South Carolina as the Roman Catholic Church of Charleston. According to church records, the structure being used for services was soon replaced by a brick structure. This building was destroyed in 1838 in the Charleston fire of that year. Construction of the third and present structure began almost immediately, and the church was opened for worship June 9, 1839. The rectangular structure features four Doric columns that support a massive entablature which is capped with a stepped parapet. The parapet wall was probably added during the renovation program of 1895. A large central portal is flanked by a smaller door on each side. A semicircular arched window is located directly above the central door, with smaller circular windows above the side doors. Both circular and semicircular windows are embellished with keystones. The church graveyard surrounds the church on each side and to the rear.


St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church Info


Address: 89 Hasell Street, Charleston, SC 29401
GPS Coordinates: 32.781815,-79.932758


St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church Map




St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church - Related Entries


The Governor Thomas Bennett House

Daniel Cannon House

Roper House in Charleston
Roper House
Charleston


William Aiken House Upstairs Porches

Wentworth Mansion

Pirate House Church Street
Pirate House
Charleston


Charleston Harbor Container Ship

St. John's Lutheran Gates

German Fire Company Chalmers Street




SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.