South Carolina Picture Project

Legare Waring House – Charleston, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Charleston County Photos  |  Legare Waring House


Edit This Page  |  Leave A Comment

This historic home within Charles Towne Landing was once part of Old Town Plantation. Now called the Legare Waring House, the land on which it stands was part of South Carolina’s first permanent settlement, Charles Towne, established by English settlers in 1670. When the English relocated to what is now White Point Garden in downtown Charleston just 10 years later, the abandoned land was granted to James LeSade, who established Old Town Plantation.

legare-waring-house

SCIWAY, 2015 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The property changed ownership over the subsequent years. A main house was built on the plantation some time during or shortly after the Revolutionary War by Elias Horry, Jr., who owned the land during the late eighteenth century. It then fell into the hands of Jonathan Lucas, and the grand home built by Horry, known as the Horry-Lucas Home, burned some time in the late 1830s.

Legare-Waring House Charlestowne

Pete Lawrence of Sumter, 2015 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

A new house was built shortly afterwards as the plantation’s main home, and the house pictured here was built nearby, likely as the plantation overseer’s home, around 1840. When the main home was burned by Union troops in 1865 during the Civil War, the overseer’s home then became the property’s primary residence.

Legare-Waring House Oaks

Pete Lawrence of Sumter, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Following the Civil War the land was owned and farmed by George Seabrook Legare, and it later passed to Legare’s daughter, Ferdinanda Izlar Legare Backer Waring, in the 1930s. She and her husband, Dr. Joseph I. Waring – for whom the Waring Library at the Medical University of South Carolina is named – enlarged the home to three times its size in the 1930s and 1940s before making it their residence. In fact, Ferdinanda Legare Waring was the primary designer of the home’s architectural changes.

Inside the Legare-Waring House

Steve Higgins of Washington, DC, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

From the 1940s through the 1960s Ferdinanda sold flowers and eggs from the estate. The Warings sold the surrounding property to the state for use as a public park in the 1970s, provided they could continue using the home as their residence. In the 1980s the home was left to the Warings’ daughter, Nancy Stevenson, who was elected the state’s first – and to date only – female Lieutenant Governor in 1979. Since then, the home has hosted many of South Carolina’s first families and is currently a popular wedding and event site.

Legare-Waring Interior

Steve Higgins of Washington, DC, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Legare-Waring House, like many other properties in this region, had an allee of trees that approached the front of the home. These live oak (Quercus Virginiana) trees were considered an improvement on the grounds and added ornamentation to make the homes appear more impressive.

Legare Waring House Oaks

William Thursby of Ware Shoals, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Charles Towne Landing is listed in the National Register as the Site of Old Charles Towne:

(Charles Towne Landing State Park) The settlement of Carolina was planned as a planting and trading province by the Lords Proprietor, and the success of the venture came about through the efforts of Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper, after a 1664 settlement on the Cape Fear had failed. After a stormy voyage during which the vessels Albemarle and Port Royal were lost, the Carolina anchored off the Carolina coast and the settlers decided to plant at Kayawah. They arrived early in April 1670. This group was joined on May 23 by a sloop, The Three Brothers, that had come by way of Virginia. The settlement was located on the Ashley River in a country known by the Indians as Kayawah, and that is was on a point of land having a river on one side and marsh on the other, known as Albemarle Point. In November 1670, the colonists were informed that the town in which they were settled was to be known as Charles Towne. Threats of a Spanish invasion made the settlers quick to build fortifications. Both a broad trench and a palisade may likely have been used.

More Pictures of Charles Towne Landing


Legare Waring House Charlestowne Landing

SCIWAY, 2015 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Legare-Waring Oaks

Pete Lawrence of Sumter, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent


Legare Waring House Info


Address: 1500 Old Towne Road, Charleston, SC 29407
GPS Coordinates: 32.804113,-79.986203


Legare Waring House Map




Legare Waring House – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Legare Waring House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Legare Waring House - Related Entries


The Governor Thomas Bennett House

Daniel Cannon House

Roper House in Charleston
Roper House
Charleston


William Aiken House Upstairs Porches

Wentworth Mansion

Pirate House Church Street
Pirate House
Charleston


Charleston Harbor Container Ship

St. John's Lutheran Gates

German Fire Company Chalmers Street




SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.