South Carolina Picture Project

Tabby Manse – Beaufort, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Beaufort County Photos  |  Tabby Manse


Edit This Page  |  Leave A Comment

Some say Thomas Fuller built this town home on Beaufort’s Bay Street between 1786 and 1788 for his wife, Elizabeth Middleton, as a wedding gift. Fuller was a wealthy cotton planter with a 1,000-acre estate on Parris Island and a 1,200-acre estate on St. Helena Island. Between the two, he owned roughly 250 slaves. Fuller’s primary estate, where he and his family spent, was Sheldon Plantation in the ACE Basin.

Tabby Manse

Elisa Rolle of Padova, Italy, 2013 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Thomas Fuller Home is more commonly known as Tabby Manse because its two-foot exterior walls are constructed entirely of tabby, a concrete material made by burning oyster shells to create lime, then mixing it with water, sand, ash, and broken oyster shells. Tabby was a prominent building material on the sea islands of South Carolina and Georgia, and it was especially prevalent in Beaufort. Notable buildings such as the St. Helena Chapel of Ease, Sams House on Dataw Island, and the Spring Island Plantation house were all constructed from tabby. This tabby on this particular home has been covered with sand-colored stucco.

Tabby Manse Ballroom

Library of Congress, 1979, Prints & Photographs Division, HABS SC,7-BEAUF,2-

Tabby Manse is among Beaufort’s earliest remaining residences and also one of her finest. The interior is notable for its craftsmanship, including its detailed mantel carvings, moldings, and other adornments. Three rooms are paneled completely in heart pine and cypress. Centrally a hall runs through the home and features a graceful rear stairwell. At the front of the house, a parlor opens on either side of the hall. The second story contains a ballroom and bedrooms. The house follows the floorpan of another Beaufort house, the Elizabeth Barnwell Gough House, which itself is an adaption of the Miles Brewton House in Charleston.

Tabby Manse Stairwell

Library of Congress, 1979, Prints & Photographs Division, HABS SC,7-BEAUF,2-

In 1864, the house was purchased by Revered Mansfield French, an abolitionist preacher sponsored by the American Missionary Association of New York City. By the 1870s, Almira Morill Onthank had converted Tabby Manse into a guest house catering to artists, writers, and architects; her family continued this mission for over a century. The Civil War novel, A Sea Island Lady, was written by author Francis Griswold during his stay in the home. The house remains a private residence today.

Tabby Manse Dining Room

Library of Congress, 1979, Prints & Photographs Division, HABS SC,7-BEAUF,2-

Both Thomas Fuller and his son Richard Fuller, an important Baptist minister, are remembered for their support of religious education for blacks both before and after the Civil War. The elder Thomas worked with neighboring planters on St. Helena Island to provide weekly church services for slaves, and the younger Fuller served as the leader of Beaufort Baptist Church, a majority-black church that his father and aunt also attended.

More Pictures of Tabby Manse


Tabby Manse

Joseph Taylor of Winter Haven, FL, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Tabby Manse is listed on the National Register:

(Thomas Fuller House) The Tabby Manse is significant as one of the few remaining early buildings on the South Carolina coast whose exterior walls are made entirely of tabby. The house, built ca. 1786-1788, is considered an important influence in the establishment of distinctive architecture of the city. It is one of the earliest surviving houses in Beaufort. The house was inhabited by its builder, Thomas Fuller, a prominent Lowcountry planter and his son, Richard Fuller, a mid-nineteenth century Baptist preacher. The house retains its original exterior appearance, except for the addition of a frame kitchen at rear ca. 1895. Its two-foot thick exterior walls of tabby are covered with sand-colored scored stucco. The south center front has a double-tiered portico over a high arcaded basement. The first story holds four stuccoed Tuscan columns; behind these are four engaged wooden columns. At the second story are four Doric columns with pilasters at wall behind. The hip roof has a small front pediment. The interior has extensive woodwork, Adamesque mantels, and a graceful stairway. Listed in the National Register May 14, 1971.


Tabby Manse Info


Address: 1211 Bay Street, Beaufort, SC 29902
GPS Coordinates: 32.432960,-80.676169


Tabby Manse Map




Tabby Manse – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Tabby Manse, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Tabby Manse - Related Entries


Tabby Manse
Tabby Manse
Beaufort


USC Beaufort
USC Beaufort
Beaufort


Highway 21 Drive-In

Pruitts Grocery Store

Grand Army of the Republic Hall

Spanish Moss Rail Trail

Seacoast Packing

Haig Point Light House
Haig Point
Dafuskie Island


The Green
The Green
Beaufort





SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.