Sixth Street Bridge – North Augusta, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Aiken County Photos | Sixth Street Bridge
Edit This Page | Leave A Comment
This drawbridge over the Savannah River connects North Augusta to neighboring Augusta, Georgia. Built in 1912 for Southern Railroad, it replaced rail access from South Carolina to Augusta after the 1853 South Carolina Rail Road bridge stretching from former Hamburg to Augusta was dismantled in 1908. Piers from the former Hamburg railway bridge are visible from this bridge as well as the vehicular traffic Fifth Street bridge. Today the Sixth Street bridge is maintained and operated by Norfolk Southern Railroad.
Though the span no longer opens for boats, the bridge functioned with a Scherzer rolling lift, a 101-foot lift span developed by Chicago engineer William Donald Scherzer.
This mechanism uses a counterweight to balance the span as it is lifted to allow boat traffic to pass under the bridge. The Scherzer lift often is described as having a rocking chair-style base, as seen above.
The Sixth Street bridge, named for the street in Augusta where the rail connects with other lines, is still in operation by Norfolk Southern Railroad.
Moveable Bridges in South Carolina
These are the only moveable bridges left in our state:
1) Harbor River Bridge – US 21 over the Harbor River – Swing bridge
2) Woods Memorial Bridge – US 21 Business over the Beaufort River – Swing bridge
3) Wando River Bridge – SC 41 over the Wando River – Scheduled to be replaced by a fixed-span bridge in 2016
4) Wappoo Creek Bridge – SC 171 – Drawbridge
5) Ben Sawyer Bridge – SC 703 over the Intracoastal Waterway – Swing bridge
6) Little River Swing Bridge – County Road 26-20
7) Socastee Swing Bridge – SC 544 (Dick Pond Road)
8-9) Ashley River Bridges – US 17 over the Ashley River – Two side-by-side drawbridges
10) Sixth Street Bridge – railroad over the Savannah River – Drawbridge (no longer functioning)
Sixth Street Bridge Info
Address: East Railroad Avenue, North Augusta, SC 29841
GPS Coordinates: 33.478230,-81.958819
Sixth Street Bridge Map
Sixth Street Bridge Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Sixth Street Bridge, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
Sixth Street Bridge - Related Entries
St. Helena Island
You may not use them in any form without written consent.