South Carolina Picture Project

Graniteville Academy – Graniteville, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Aiken County Photos  |  Graniteville Academy


Edit This Page  |  Leave A Comment

Many historians believe this school, built for the Graniteville Mill village, was the first American school to implement a compulsory attendance policy. Construction on Graniteville Academy began in 1847, the year after industrialist William Gregg began developing the nearly 8,000 acres of land in Aiken County that he called Graniteville. The village was named for the local blue granite used in the construction of the canal that would power the cotton manufacturing plant as well as the mill itself. The school building originally included a bell tower.

Graniteville Academy

Larry Gleason of Aiken, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Gregg, who owned nearby Vaucluse Mill, toured the large-scale mill villages of New England in 1844 and returned to South Carolina inspired. He believed that developing a small town around industry, church, and education would fulfill his vision of success in the South. He began constructing his mill community in 1846, and by 1849 the town was completed and the mill was in operation. Carpenter Gothic-style buildings such as the school and mill houses for employees made Graniteville one of the more ornate mill villages developed in the nineteenth century.

Graniteville Academy Aiken County

Larry Gleason of Aiken, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The school opened in 1848 and originally served students up to the sixth grade. Mill employees were required by Gregg to send their children to school and forced to pay a truancy fine if their children failed to attend. Gregg frequently visited the school to ensure it was running properly, and he was known to bring the students fresh peaches when they were in season. The school building was expanded in 1853 and a high school was added in 1898, graduating its first class the following year.

Graniteville Academy Marker

Larry Gleason of Aiken, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The student population continued to grow into the twentieth century as the textile industry boomed in the South, requiring a bigger school. Leavelle McCampbell School, named for a Graniteville Manufacturing board member and president, was built in 1922 to relieve overcrowding. The school also served students from nearby mill towns Vaucluse and Warrenville.

Graniteville Academy Marker Back

Larry Gleason of Aiken, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Leavelle McCampbell School became Graniteville High School in 1954. In 1980 Graniteville High School became Leavelle McCampbell Middle School, as it remains today. The former Graniteville Academy became a private residence after the school evacuated its grounds, with its additions removed and converted into housing. The building briefly served as a museum before becoming the headquarters of the Graniteville Leisure Years Club in 1971 (an organization for senior citizens). Today the building houses the Megiddo Dream Station, a nonprofit organization which prepares unemployed people for the workforce.

Graniteville Academy Plaque

Larry Gleason of Aiken, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Graniteville Academy building is listed in the National Register as part of the Graniteville Historic District:

The Graniteville Historic District consists of the Graniteville Canal, which dates to 1846; the original two and one-half story Graniteville Mill constructed of locally quarried granite and completed in 1849; twenty-six original workers’ houses in Early Gothic Revival style, most of whose exteriors are virtually unaltered; nine other units of early mill housing; the 1847 Graniteville Academy where operatives children were educated at company expense; and the Early Gothic Revival St. John’s Methodist Church, designed by Charleston architect E.B. White and completed in 1849. Most of these structures were either constructed by William Gregg or under his close supervision, and many still retain much of their original architectural vitality. While building the mill, Gregg supervised construction of a company town, thus bringing into existence the first typical southern mill village. By providing cheap housing, free schools, churches, and stores and by maintaining personal supervision over the morals and everyday lies of his operatives, Gregg established a pattern that would be emulated by scores of cotton mill owners throughout the region.

Graniteville Academy Info


Address: 103 Canal Street, Graniteville, SC 29829
GPS Coordinates: 33.570909,-81.805715

Graniteville Academy Map



Take Me There


Graniteville Academy Info


Address: 103 Canal Street, Graniteville, SC 29829
GPS Coordinates: 33.570909,-81.805715


Graniteville Academy Map




Graniteville Academy – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Graniteville Academy, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Graniteville Academy - Related Entries


Graniteville Cemetery Aiken County

Millhouse Graniteville Aiken County

St. Paul's Episcopal Graniteville

St. John's Methodist Graniteville
St. John Methodist
Graniteville


Hickman Hall
Hickman Hall
Graniteville


Graniteville Academy

Graniteville Farm Bell

First Baptist Church

Leavelle McCampbell School




SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.