SCIWAY News No. 36 – April 2002
Also see: Previous Issues of SCIWAY News
In This Issue
1. This Issue's Sponsor: For Sale South CarolinaFree Ads All The Time! Buy it and sell it quick ... or donate it! When you're in the market to buy or sell in South Carolina, ForSaleSC.com (site no longer exists) is the place to go. From autos and real estate to household goods and concert tickets, ForSaleSC.com has it all. Listings are posted immediately with color photos and full details -- no word counts, no waiting. Place your ad today and sell today. Or make a donation at our sister site DonationLinks.org (site no longer exists), where donations are matched with community needs.
2. Winners of SCIWAY's Second Annual K12 Web Design ContestSince November, we have been busy conducting SCIWAY's second statewide K12 Web Design Contest. This contest was open to public, private, and home school design teams consisting of three or more students. Each team could develop a web site about any South Carolina topic it chose.
More than 80 student teams entered the contest's three divisions: grades 1-5, 6-8, and 9-12. Twenty additional teams participated in preliminary local contests.
Judging this year's entries was as interesting and complex as last year. But after viewing the sites in each division several times, we are awarding 14 trophies: three for first place, four for second, and seven for SCIway Excellence Awards. The winning teams will also share $3,400 in prize money.
The 14 winning web sites are listed below, and you can find links to all the entries here.
These sites will be permanently hosted by SCIway, and we will be adding links to them to relevant SCIway pages. We hope you enjoy them and learn as much from them as we have.
The rules for next year's K12 Web Design Contest will be published in August.
First Place – O.P. Earle Elementary School, Landrum, Spartanburg County District 1
First Place – Leslie M. Stover School, Elgin, Kershaw County School District
First Place – Union High School, Union, Union County School District
3. South Carolina's Response To September 11One of this year's Web Design Contest entries is particularly special.
The site is called "9-11 Caring Carolina: South Carolina Answers the Call for Help." It describes South Carolina's response to the terrorism of September 11. It also documents some of the ways in which our lives have changed during the past six months ... and many of the actions South Carolinians have taken to help the families and friends of those who died on that heartbreaking day.
What makes this 29-page site so special is not its technical sophistication, but the breadth and quality of the research on which it is based. I believe that years from now it will be the "place" South Carolinians go to remember and learn about September 11.
911 Caring Carolina was developed by a team of sixth grade students at Leslie M. Stover Elementary School in Elgin. Like South Carolina, they have much to be proud of.
4. New and Notable South Carolina Web SitesClarendon Swamp Fox Murals - click Murals ... wait ... listen ... smile
The Emrys Foundation - promotes excellence in SC arts
Historic Laurens County - every SC county should have a site like this!
Hobcaw Barony - famous wildlife refuge in coastal Georgetown County
Palmetto Institute - trying to find out why SC incomes are so low - site no longer exists
South Carolina Clogging Council - those who can't, shag :)
South Carolina Graduation Gifts - art and books to palmetto ties
SC Statehouse Report - weekly behind-the-scences info for subscribers
SC TLC - helps teachers find lesson plans, instructional resources - site no longer exists
Summer Camps in South Carolina - 30+ camps ... an impressive variety
Upstate Alliance - helps Upstate compete for business investments
5. SCJobsNow - A New Statewide Jobs and Resumes Web SiteOn May 1 SCIway will introduce a new statewide web service called SCJobsNow.
Job seekers can use SCJobsNow to search for South Carolina jobs and to post up to three resumes ... for free.
Employers and recruiters can post job ads and view resumes for a small fee ... or purchase an "Ad Pack" to save more money and time.
From May 1 until June 30, South Carolina employers and recruiters can post jobs for FREE. And if you buy an Ad Pack during this period, all of the ads you post before July 1 will be free.
Click here to learn more about SCJobsNow. We welcome your comments and suggestions about how we can make this new service more useful and successful.
6. New SCIWAY SponsorsYour Best Bet Home Fragrancies - Central - candles, oils, air fresheners
Woodside Plantation - Aiken - an exceptional country club community
Ontko Pipe Organs - quality organ builders - 843-552-8990 - site no longer exists
The Dieter Company - Litchfield and Pawleys Island vacation rentals
7. Save Money When You Go to Myrtle BeachIf you're planning to spend some time in the Myrtle Beach area this year, you can save money by purchasing a Myrtle Beach V.I.P. Discount Card. This card entitles you to discounts at hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, golf courses, and many other Grand Strand businesses.
Myrtle Beach V.I.P. Cards currently cost $10, and they are valid through December 31, 2002. To order one or more cards, go to http://www.myrtlebeachvipcard.com/?fromclient=scin.
SCIway receives $2.00 for every V.I.P. Card purchased at this address. We will use this money to pay for trophies for next year's K12 Web Design Contest.
8. Upcoming SC Festivals and EventsFor a complete annual calendar of South Carolina festivals, conferences, and events, please see http://www.sciway.net/calendar.html.
Come-See-Me Festival - Rock Hill - Apr 12-21
Beach Music by the Catalinas - benefits Newberry hospital - Apr 18
Bar-B-Que Shag Festival - Hemingway - Apr 18-20
A Baker's Dozen - Celebration of Stories - Columbia - Apr 19-20
Stone Soup Storytelling Festival - Woodruff - Apr 19-20
South Carolina Festival of Roses - Orangeburg - Apr 20-28
Earth Day - directory of South Carolina events - Apr 22
Soiree Festival - Downtown Anderson - Apr 25-27
Midlands Plant and Flower Festival - Columbia - scroll down - Apr 25-28
Colleton County Rice Festival - Walterboro - Apr 26-27
Tame the Tyger River Race and Float - Spartanburg - Apr 27
SC Native Plant Society Symposium - Mt Pleasant - Apr 27-28
9. SC City and County Spotlight: Columbia and Richland County
Starting this month, each issue of SCIWAY News will spotlight one South Carolina city and county. Our choices will be greatly influenced by the number and quality of local web sites we know about.
So if your community has a notable non-business web site that SCIway doesn't yet link to, please send its address to email@example.com.
You can add a business web site to SCIway by completing the short order form here.
Our first featured city is COLUMBIA, South Carolina's state capital and most populated city.
Copyright 2002 SCIway, LLC. "SCIWAY News"(TM) is written by Rod Welch of James Island – with a lot of help from people throughout South Carolina. ISSN: 1527-3903. Direct circulation: 51,000+
To subscribe to SCIWAY News, send a one-word message that says "add" to firstname.lastname@example.org. To unsubscribe, send a "remove" message to this same address. If your email address changes, please send your old and new addresses to email@example.com.
The SCIWAY News mailing list is not loaned or sold to anyone.
News, new web site addresses, and comments and questions about this newsletter should also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back issues of SCIway news can be found at http://www.sciway.net/sn/.
SCIWAY, pronounced "sky-way," is an acronym for South Carolina Information Highway.
SC Arts & Entertainment
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2016 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.