SCIWAY News No. 34 – October 2001
Previous Issues of SCIWAY News
In This Issue
1. This Issue's Sponsor: For Sale South CarolinaIf you're in the market to buy or sell in South Carolina, ForSaleSC.com is the place to go. From cars and homes to event tickets and household goods, ForSaleSC.com has it all. Listings are posted immediately with photos and full details – no waiting. Yard sales and community announcements are included too. And right now, ALL listings are free! Place your ad today and sell today. Check out the web site at http://ForSaleSC.com - site no longer available.
2. Winners of Sciway's First K12 Web Design ContestLast spring SCIway sponsored a statewide Web Design contest for South Carolina K12 students. The contest was open to public, private, and home school design teams consisting of three or more members. Each team could develop a web site about any South Carolina topic it chose.
More than 100 student teams from throughout South Carolina entered the contest, and we awarded 18 prizes in three divisions: grades 1-5, 6-8, and 9-12. In addition to a trophy, first place teams received $500, second place teams $300, and Excellence Award winners $100. In all, SCIway awarded $4,200 in cash prizes.
The winning schools and web sites are listed at the end of this article, and you can find links to all the sites at http://sciway3.net/2001/.
These sites will be permanently hosted by SCIway, and we have added links to them to relevant SCIway pages. We hope you enjoy them as much as we have.
Conducting this contest was interesting and rewarding, and we learned A LOT about South Carolina – and about conducting web design contests. The most important thing we learned is that this is a worthwhile enterprise. So ...
SCIWAY's second K12 Web Design Contest will begin November 1 and end March 15, 2002.
First Place - Clifdale Elementary School, Spartanburg, Spartanburg County District 3
First Place - Tie
3. New and Notable South Carolina Web SitesACE Troops- ACE River Basin art, history, preservation - site no longer exists
South Carolina Military Department - SC National Guard - Adjutant Gen
South Carolina Red Cross Chapters - a dozen helpers who need our help
South Carolina Statistical Abstract - 2000-2001 - page no longer exists
Southern Association of Yankees - SAY - based in Goose Creek
4. SCIWAY Sponsors Move to Top of PageAs the last article in this issue explains, we are changing the format of SCIWAY's pages -- see http://www.sciway.net. One result is that businesses and organizations that purchase "sponsored listings" now appear in a special section near the top of our new single-column pages.
Sponsored listings include a link to your web site, your phone number, and a short message about your business. They cost $60 a year, or $50 each if you buy two or more. Here are some examples:http://www.sciway.net/advertise.html. You can order listings online with a credit card.
SCIway provides free alphabetical listings for non-profit organizations and government agencies. These groups simply need to complete the short form on this page: http://www.sciway.net/forms/addurl.html.
5. SC Small City and Town Web Sites BlossomOne of the most enjoyable parts of working on SCIway is learning about South Carolina's smaller towns and cities. Many of these communities now have first-class web sites that are quite engaging. Here's a small sampling:
Bamberg - seat of Bamberg County - first-class July 4th celebration
Elloree - Orangeburg County - Indian word for "The Home I Love"
Marion - Marion County seat - Historic Marion Revitalization Association
Pendleton - Anderson County - historic district, agricultural museum
6. Upcoming SC Festivals and EventsFor the latest information on upcoming South Carolina events, please see http://www.sciway.net/calendar.html.
Fall Candlelight Tours of Homes and Gardens - Charleston - Oct 1-27
Dark Knight's Terror Trail - Columbia - haunted throughout October
Nightmare on 901 - Rock Hill - haunted woods - Oct 19-20, 25-27, 29-31
Lee County Cotton Festival - Bishopville - Oct 19-20
Oktoberfest - Walhalla - Oct 19-21
Georgetown Wooden Boat Show - includes boat-building contest - Oct 20
Fall Festival of Houses and History - Beaufort - Oct 26-28
Komen Race for the Cure - breast cancer - Charleston - Oct 27
Park Day - Daniel Island's celebration of outdoor living - Oct 27
Ridge Spring Harvest Festival - Saluda County - Oct 27
Celebrate Freedom Festival - Columbia - air and ground show - Nov 3-4
Revolutionary Field Days - Camden - Nov 3-4
Freedom Schnooer Armistad Visits Georgetown - relive history - Nov 4-17
Cammy Awards - North Myrtle Beach - Carolina beach music - Nov 9-11
Charleston Cup Race - horse racing at Stono Ferry - Nov 11
Native American Veterans Day Parade - Columbia - 11:00 am - Nov 12
Hollings Cancer Center Golf Tournament - Kiawah Island - Nov 15
7. Where Have We Been?This is the first issue of SCIWAY News we've published since late February. So where have we been?
The answer is that we've been rebuilding the SCIway web site – http://www.sciway.net – with two goals in mind: To make it more valuable to our visitors and more valuable to our sponsors.
Achieving these goals required us to completely redesign SCIway and then convert 2,000+ pages to the new format. This has been a time-consuming process, but we're 1,200 pages down the road.
SCIWAY's new format features a white background, a subject navigation bar and search box on almost every page, and a central column of content. These features should help you find the South Carolina information you're looking for more easily. They also allow us to feature our sponsors front and center, right at the top of appropriate pages.
I'm happy to say that we seem to be accomplishing our goals. This year SCIway will have two million visitors, who will view more than 10 million pages. It will also be our first profitable year.
One of the benefits of making money is that we can use it to develop new South Carolina information resources. In the months ahead we will be adding hundreds of new pages to SCIway that I believe you will find useful, interesting, and in some cases, eye-opening.
We will also be publishing this newsletter more frequently, so please keep sending your suggestions and SC web site addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for your time ... Rod Welch – James Island, SC
Copyright 2001 SCIway, LLC. "SCIWAY News"(TM) is written by Rod Welch of James Island – with a lot of help from people throughout South Carolina. ISSN: 1527-3903. Direct circulation: 47,000+
To subscribe to SCIWAY News, send a one-word message that says "add" to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, send a "remove" message to this same address. If your email address changes, please send your old and new addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SCIWAY News mailing list is not loaned or sold to anyone.
News, new web site addresses, and comments and questions about this newsletter should also be sent to email@example.com.
Back issues of SCIway news can be found at http://www.sciway.net/sn/.
SCIWAY, pronounced "sky-way," is an acronym for South Carolina Information Highway.
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2014 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.