South Carolina Shrimp – Guide to SC Shrimping
South Carolina SC Gifts SC Food SC Shrimp
South Carolina has two shrimp seasons.
The first runs from May through August, when smaller, brown shrimp are harvested.
The popular white shrimp season begins in September and lasts through December.
There are so many places along our coast to buy fresh local seafood. There are an abundance of resources listed below to help you find the freshest shrimp near you. Support your SC shrimpers and buy local!
— Rosebank Farms, Johns Island © Pamela Bohnenstiehl —
Commercial Shrimping Organizations in SC
SC Shrimping Research, Conservation, and Education
- Sustainable Seafood Initiative - promoting the use of local and sustainable seafood in South Carolina's restaurants
- Shrimp Harvesting Regulations in South Carolina - PDF - see pages 44-45
Articles on SC's Shrimping Industry
- "South Carolina Shrimp Industry – A History of Heritage" - PDF - timelines and pictures tell the history of the shrimping industry in SC, and also outline the current threats to the industry from rising fuel prices, imported seafood, and development along our coastline
- Shrimp in South Carolina - lists species, anatomy, lifecycle, migratory patterns, and harvesting through commercial fisheries
- "Living For Shrimping, Shrimping For A Living" - 2007 article interviews commercial captains and discusses industry concerns
- "Shrimpers Say It's Barely Worth it to Stay in Business" - January 2009 article about the difficult 2008 SC shrimp season
- "The Grease Experiment" - Jimmy Buffet's idea, to collect used cooking grease to be used as fuel by commercial fishing vessels, gets off the ground - article published June/July 2010
Shrimp Festivals in SC
More SC Shrimp Boat Photos
See our entire gallery of SC Shrimp Boats