Spartanburg Union Station – Spartanburg, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Spartanburg County Photos | Spartanburg Union Station
The building pictured below is all that remains of the once elaborate Union Station in Spartanburg. The station was built in 1904; over the years it served Southern Railway, Clinchfield Railroad, and the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway.
In the 1940s, as many as 14 passenger and freight trains passed through Union Station each day, helping Spartanburg earn its “Hub City” nickname. Unfortunately, parts of the depot have been demolished or destroyed over the years. Local volunteers led the charge to see the station restored in 1996, and now the old baggage room is home to both the Spartanburg Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Hub City Railroad Musuem.
SCIWAY visited the museum in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed our tour! Even though trains no longer stop here, the museum gives a great glimpse into South Carolina’s railroad history and its importance to the development of Spartanburg and our entire state.
SCIWAY thanks Ann Helms of Spartanburg for sharing this picture she took in 2010.
Address: 290 Magnolia Street, Spartanburg, SC 29303