Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church – Glenn Springs, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Spartanburg County Photos | Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church – also called the Old Stone Church – is part of the former resort village of Glenn Springs in Spartanburg County, once known for its healing waters and famous hotel. In 1877 three Presbyterian elders and their families met in the lobby of the Glenn Springs Hotel once a month to conduct a Presbyterian service. By 1879 the Reverend A.A. James from neighboring Fairforest Presbyterian Church (in what is now Union County) was leading services in Glenn Springs. In 1881 James led the effort to build a church for the local Presbyterians, which was completed in the summer of that year. Glenn Springs Presbyterian received its formal charter from the state in 1883.
By 1905 the congregation had grown, and a fundraising effort was underway to build a new church. In 1908 the new church was complete and services were held in this stone edifice. As the decades went by, it was determined that a more modern church was necessary. In 1961 a new brick church was built, where the congregation currently worships. The bell that once sounded in the stone bell tower of the old church now hangs in the new church. Restoration of the church began in 2007, and in May of 2016 the church held its first wedding in 60 years.
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church was a part of Glenn Springs Academy, formerly known as the Spartanburg Boys’ Home. Glenn Springs Academy was instrumental in the restoration of the church until the academy closed in 2013. The Glenn Springs Preservation Society then purchased the church property and completed the project. The Old Stone Church is available for weddings and special events through the Glenn Springs Preservation Society.
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church is listed in the National Register as part of the Glenn Springs Historic District:
Glenn Springs Historic District is located in the community of Glenn Springs, which is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The history of the community focuses around the reputation of the mineral springs for their medicinal value and the related development of a popular resort hotel. The district contains nineteen properties, including several residences, two boarding houses, the ruins of a residence, two churches, a store, a post office, a pavilion, a cemetery, and the site of the Glenn Springs Hotel. Historically, the district represents the nineteenth and early twentieth century (ca. 1840-ca. 1940) development of Glenn Springs as a health resort and the community that grew up around it. Several buildings in the district are of local architectural significance as well, representing various vernacular and high styles of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries such as Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, and Bungalow.
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church Info
Address: Boys Home Road, Glenn Springs, SC 29374
GPS Coordinates: 34.816737,-81.831156
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church Map
Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!