SC Governor’s Mansion – Columbia, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Richland County Photos | SC Governor’s Mansion
The Governor’s Mansion, located in Columbia, is the only remaining building of the Arsenal Military Academy which was established in 1842 to train officers for the State’s militia. Cadets withdrew from the Academy in 1865 to fight in the Civil War. When they returned to Columbia the only thing remaining of the school was the officers’ quarters, which would eventually become the Governor’s Mansion in 1869.
Since then, the Mansion has had many famous guests such as: Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope, Martha Raye, Minnie Pearl, and Dizzy Gillespie.
Address: 800 Richland Street, Columbia, SC 29201