Robert Mills House – Columbia, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Richland County Photos | Robert Mills House
The Robert Mills House, also known as the Ainsley Hall House, is one of Columbia‘s historic crown jewels. It was designed by native South Carolinian Robert Mills, who served as our country’s Federal architect under seven presidents.
In this capacity, Mills designed some of the nation’s most prominent buildings, including the Washington Monument. The Mills House reflects the architect’s preference for the classical revival style, with a large porch dominating the front of the building. Similar to many of his other buildings, the Mills House is a brick structure with a symmetrical exterior and interior.
Englishman Ainsley Hall, who commissioned the home, died before it was complete, and the mansion was sold to the Presbyterian Synod of South Carolina and Georgia. The Presbyterian Theological Seminary began holding classes here in 1831. In 1927, the seminary moved and the property gradually fell into disrepair.
A major grassroots movement saved the house from demolition in the early 1960s. After extensive restoration, it opened in 1967 as a historic house museum. It is one of just five National Historic Landmarks in Columbia, and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, which notes that Winthrop was founded here in 1866:
The Ainsley Hall House preserves architecture that is of national importance because of the period it represents, the quality and type of its design, the excellence of its restoration, and the fame of its architect. Its designer, Robert Mills (1781-1855), was a native South Carolina architect and engineer who studied under Hoban and Latrobe and became the first American-trained Federal architect, serving under 7 Presidents. He was the designer of the Washington Monument and was responsible, in great measure, for the national capital’s early trend toward the classical style in its public buildings. Of the few Mills residences remaining in the United States, the Ainsley Hall House is considered one of the superior examples. Since Ainsley Hall, an English-born wealthy merchant in Columbia, died before the house was completed and it was never occupied or completely finished as a residence, it is more closely associated with the architect. The house was occupied for many years by the Columbia Theological Seminary. Winthrop, the South Carolina College for Women, was founded in the house in 1886. It became the home of the Columbia Bible College from late 1920s to 1962. Built in 1823 in the center of an entire city block of four acres, the Classical Revival style brick mansion is two-storied on an elevated basement. The front façade has an Ionic-temple portico with four massive columns rising from a raised brick arcade. The rear, or garden, entrance has a seven-bay arched porch. Three outbuildings have been reconstructed.
Learn more about historic Columbia homes.
Robert Mills House Info
Address: 1616 Blanding Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Robert Mills House Map
Robert Mills House Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Robert Mills House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!