South Carolina Picture Project "Wish List"
About Our List ...
The South Carolina Picture Project now hosts over 1,500 photos and paintings, which means we're well on our way to digitally documenting this great state! Hundreds of landmarks remain missing, however, and we need your help.
If you are an artist or photographer who is interested in sharing your work, we have created a wish list of missing South Carolina landmarks. We often get requests from people who are looking for inspiration, and we hope this list will help spur many adventures and fun hours behind your shutter or sketchpad.
Of course, we also welcome additional shots of those landmarks we've already begun to document. Any one scene has so many sides to it, and we'd love to document them all.
Can You Help?
Below is a random and constantly growing list of SC landmarks we don't yet have. Obviously there are hundreds of other "missing" landmarks, so be sure to check back for regular updates. If you have a landmark you'd like us to add to this wish list, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or add it using the quick form below.
SCIWAY also collects many categories of landmarks for the SC Picture Project. Click here to see our full list of tags, such as town clocks, bridges, barns, courthouses, mills, and schools!
Missing SC Landmarks
Coastal & Lowcountry
- 2nd Avenue Pier – Myrtle Beach, Horry County
- 56 Bull Street (Denmark Vesey House) – Charleston, Charleston County
- Ben Sawyer Swing Bridge – Mount Pleasant, Charleston County
- Calhoun Mansion – Charleston, Charleston County
- Chapel View House – Pawleys Island, Georgetown County
- Charlesfort and Santa Elena Historic Site – Parris Island, Beaufort County
- College of Charleston – Charleston, Charleston County
- Conway Town Clock – Conway, Horry County
- Cooper River – Charleston and Berkeley Counties
- Cooper's Country Store – Salters, Williamsburg County
- Edisto Mystery Tree in Various Seasons – Edisto Island, Charleston County
- Emanuel AME Church – Charleston, Charleston County
- Hampton Park – Charleston, Charleston County
- Harbor River Swing Bridge – St. Helena Island, Beaufort County
- Heyward-Washington House – Charleston, Charleston County
- Jenkins Orphanage & Institute (past and present) – Charleston, Charleston County
- Little River Swing Bridge – Little River, Horry County
- Magnolia Plantation House & Slave Cabins – West Ashley, Charleston County
- Mckenzie Beach – Pawleys Island, Georgetown County
- Old City Jail on Franklin Street – Charleston, Charleston County
- Old Santee Canal Park – Moncks Corner, Berkeley County
- Pon-Pon Chapel of Ease – Near Jacksonboro, Colleton County
- Prince Frederick Church – Plantersville, Georgetown County
- Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church – Georgetown, Georgetown County
- Proclamation Tree at Camp Saxton – Port Royal, Beaufort County
- Progressive Club – Johns Island, Charleston County
- Santee River – Berkeley, Charleston, Georgetown, and Williamsburg Counties
- Summerville Town Square – Summerville, Dorchester County
- Surfside Beach – Surfside Beach, Horry County
- Walterboro Town Clock – Walterboro, Colleton County
- Wando River Swing Bridge – Wando, Berkeley County (Endangered: This bridge is slated to be replaced with a 55-foot fixed span in the near future.)
- Wappoo Creek Drawbridge – James Island, Charleston County
- Adluh Flour Mill – Columbia, Richland County
- Ryan House – Barnwell, Barnwell County
- Big Apple – Columbia, Richland County
- Bomb Island – Lake Murray, Lexington County
- Broad River – Multiple Midlands and Upstate Counties
- Catawba River – Rock Hill and other SC locations
- Cheraw Town Clock – Cheraw, Chesterfield County
- Church of the Holy Cross – Stateburg, Sumter County
- Collins Park – Barnwell, Barnwell County
- Columbia Canal – Columbia and West Columbia, Lexington and Richland Counties
- Dillon County Courthouse – Dillon, Dillon County
- Ebenezer Baptist Church – Trenton, Edgefield County
- Fort Watson/Santee Indian Mound – Summerton, Clarendon County
- Francis Marion Statue – Johnsonville, Florence County
- Hampton Preston House – Columbia, Richland County
- Kalmia Gardens – Hartsville, Darlington County
- Kensington Plantation – Eastover, Richland County
- Lexington County Veterans Memorial – Lexington, Lexington County
- Lexington Town Clock – Lexington, Lexington County
- Merchants Bank Building – Cheraw, Chesterfield County
- Olympia Mill – Columbia, Richland County
- Rankin-Harwell House (aka "The Columns") – Mars Bluff, Florence County
- Rivers Park – Mount Croghan, Chesterfield County
- South Caroliniana Library – USC, Columbia, Richland County
- Union Station – Columbia, Richland County
- USC Melton Observatory – Columbia, Richland County
- US Courthouse – Aiken, Aiken County
- Warrenville Elementary School – Aiken, Aiken County
- Whitehall – Aiken, Aiken County
- Anderson County Courthouse – Anderson, Anderson County
- Anderson's Mill – Spartanburg, Spartanburg County
- Anne Springs Close Greenway – Fort Mill, York County
- Bates Masonic Temple – Easley, Pickens County
- Broad River – Multiple Midlands and Upstate Counties
- Calhoun House – Abbeville, Abbeville County
- Fall Creek Falls – North of Westminster, Oconee County
- Jumping Off Rock – Lake Jocassee, Pickens County
- Kings Creek Falls – Walhalla, Oconee County
- Latta House – York York County
- Limestone College – Gaffney, Cherokee County
- Matheson House – Cheraw, Chesterfield County
- Modoc State Park – Modoc, McCormick County
- Paris Mountain State Park – Greenville, Greenville County
- Walnut Grove Plantation – Roebuck, Spartanburg County
- Woodruff Town Clock – Woodruff, Spartanburg County
SC Places in Need of Love
Many of South Carolina's smaller towns and counties are under-represented in the SC Picture Project, despite the fact that they feature some of our state's most amazing scenery. One of our special goals here at SCIWAY is to preserve memories of these small communities, so please send us pictures of these areas if you have them. Thanks!
Small – and Medium and Big! – Towns
- Belvedere - Aiken County
- Bennettsville - Marlboro County
- Berea - Greenville County
- Blythewood - Fairfield and Richland Counties
- Clover - York County
- Eastover - Richland County
- Elgin - Kershaw County
- Fort Mill - York County
- Hilton Head - Beaufort County - only 4 shots so far!
- Hopkins - Richland County
- Ladson - Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester Counties
- Latta - Dillon County
- Lugoff - Kershaw County
- Mauldin - Greenville County
- McCormick - McCormick County
- North Myrtle Beach - Horry County - only 3 shots so far!
These counties have the fewest number of entries in the South Carolina Picture Project. In contrast, Charleston County has over 200 pictures, and the gallery as a whole has over 1,500!
- Marlboro County - 1 picture
- Chester County - 3 pictures
- Darlington County - 3 pictures
- Lancaster County - 6 pictures
- Newberry County - 6 pictures
- Jasper County - 8 pictures
- Lee County - 8 pictures
- Cherokee County - 9 pictures
- Florence County - 10 pictures
SC Picture Project "Special Project"
Sometimes our photographers write us asking for ideas about places they could take a road trip and find great landmarks to shoot. One thought that comes quickly to mind is Berkeley County.
Near Charleston, Berkeley County is one of the oldest areas in South Carolina, and it is home to a collection of the most architecturally magnificent chapels in our state. We do have a page for each of these churches already, but many of them could use some improvement.
If you could use a little inspiration – and if you don't mind a walk in the woods! – we would love to be able to add more images of these historic landmarks. Some of these buildings are located on private property, so please let us know if you plan to visit, and we will try to help you find the maps and contacts you need. Our email address is email@example.com.
Berkeley County Chapels and Churches