Cope Depot – Cope, South Carolina

South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Orangeburg County Photos  |  Cope Depot

The small town of Cope was named after Jacob Martin Cope, who sold a piece of his farmland for a town and train depot in the 1890s. The Cope Depot was built in 1893 for the Manchester & Augusta Railroad, and was later used by the Atlantic Coast Line.

Cope Station

Sara Dean of Moncks Corner, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The tracks are still in use, but the depot ceased operations in the 1960s. It is still considered the center of town, where locals can meet and visit.

Cope Depot Orangeburg County

Treva Thomas Hammond of Rock Hill, 2015 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Cope Depot Shed

Sara Dean of Moncks Corner, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Cope Depot

Ann Helms of Spartanburg, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Cope Depot is listed in the National Register:

The Cope Depot has been the literal and figurative center of the town of Cope since 1894. Built in 1893 as a station on the Manchester and Augusta Railroad, the depot is significant as the building around which the town developed in the late nineteenth century, and as an excellent example of the typical frame construction of combined passenger and freight depots of its day. The town and the depot were founded on land purchased from Orangeburg County farmer Jacob Martin Cope. Within a few years of the building of the depot, the town boasted residences, two churches, several mercantile stores, a drugstore, a grist mill, a cotton gin and a planing mill which points to how essential the railroad was to growth in this part of the state.

The depot was the center of communication in the town’s early history as a center for mail service, telegraph service and telephone service. The depot is a one-story, gable-end, linear frame building set on a 6’x6’ concrete piling foundation and clad in vertical board and batten planks. The metal clad roof shelters the building in a typical fashion with wide overhanging eaves supported by knee braces on the principal gable end and elongated curved wooden brackets along both side elevations. The depot ceased operation by the mid-1960s, but is still considered the focal point of Cope.

Reflections on the Cope Depot

Contributor Treva Thomas Hammond shares, “This is the railroad side of the Cope Depot, also known as the Manchester Augusta Railroad which was established in 1894. As a young girl growing up there in the 70’s, I can remember town celebrations centered around the depot.”

Add your own reflections here.

Cope Depot Info

Address: Cope Road, Cope, SC 29038

Cope Depot Map

Cope Depot – Add Info and More Photos

The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Cope Depot, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!

If You Don't Have a Facebook Account, Please Comment Below

Related Pages

Pickens Railroad

Lake City Depot
Lake City Depot
Lake City

Columbia Conservatory of Dance

Harris Street Bridge

Section House
Section House
Little Mountain

Prosperity Depot
Prosperity Depot

Clinton Depot

Chapin Depot

Kingstree Train Depot
Kingstree Depot


Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historic Houses Historic Photos Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lakes Lancaster Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mt. Carmel Mt. Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2015, LLC All rights reserved.