Church of the Epiphany – Eutawville, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Orangeburg County Photos | Church of the Epiphany
Church of the Epiphany
This historic church in Eutawville was first associated with Rocks Church, established near Rocks Plantation in 1804. Rocks Church was a chapel of ease for St. Stephen’s Church, which served Anglican (now Episcopalian) families of English and French descent near St. Stephen’s Parish.
By 1849 this church, called Church of the Epiphany, was built as a chapel for the burgeoning village of Eutaw (as the town was then called) and became the place of worship for planters arriving to town for the summer. The chapel was not consecrated so that it could serve people of all denominations, though it became an unofficial chapel of ease for members of Rocks Church, which was fifteen miles away. Yet in 1864 Rocks Church separated from St. Stephen’s Church and became the parish church for Upper-St. John’s Parish. That same year, the tiny Church of the Epiphany was enlarged.
The Church of the Epiphany saw further renovations in 1880, and in 1899 Dr. Edmonds, a member and hobbyist woodcarver, created and installed a wooden screen in part to make the sanctuary appear larger. As the area grew in population, the Church of the Epiphany divided services with Rocks Church, the two churches alternating Sundays. However, when Santee-Cooper Electric – South Carolina’s state-owned electric and water utility – created Lake Marion for hydroelectric power in the late 1930s and early 1940s, Rocks Church was left abandoned on a small island. Rocks Church was later de-consecrated and demolished in 1954. A plaque commemorating the church now stands in its place.
The Church of the Epiphany then became the primary church for both congregations. It was formally consecrated as an Episcopal church in 1949, a few years before the demolition of Rocks Church. In the 1984 a new building was added to the grounds, and updates that reflect the original architecture of the church continue as the church grows.
Church of the Epiphany Info
Address: 12065 Old Number Six Highway, Eutawville, SC 29048
GPS Coordinates: 33.399569,-80.340720
Church of the Epiphany Map
Church of the Epiphany Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Church of the Epiphany, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!