Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum – Orangeburg County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Orangeburg County Photos | Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum
The Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum stands at the site of the world’s first railroad junction. By 1833, Branchville was part of the world’s longest railroad, which ran 136 miles from Charleston to Hamburg. (Hamburg was located in Aiken County but no longer exists).
— Branchville Station © Lamar Nix of Seabrook —
Several years later, a route was established between Branchville and Columbia, making Branchville a junction. The train depot was heavily damaged by a fire in 1995, but it has since been restored as a museum. To schedule a tour, call Branchville’s Town Hall at 803-274-8820.
The Branchville Museum houses a replica of “The Best Friend of Charleston,” a steam locomotive which carried passengers en route from Charleston to Hamburg, passing through Branchville. It made its first trip on December 25, 1830, and was received with much excitement. Its service was short-lived, ending with a fire, but it was the start of a transportation transformation in the United States.
— Branchville Train Museum Best Friend Replica © SCIWAY —
Standing at this ticket window, you can almost imagine yourself as an early rail passenger, come to purchase a train ticket. The view through the window shows the second of the museum’s three rooms, where the train operator station is housed.
— Train Ticket Window © SCIWAY —
Hand-powered velocipedes such as this one were invented in the late 1800′s and were commonly used for railroad inspection and maintenance. This one is built for one person, with attachments so that tools could be brought along.
— Antique Velocipede © SCIWAY —
Old lanterns and telephones sit atop this desk, which still holds train tickets, maps, and railroad memorabilia.
— Train Museum Memorabilia © SCIWAY —
Railroad stations served an important role in communication in the early 1900′s. This picture shows telegraph machinery and old documents. The museum also houses a switchboard machine where calls could be patched.
— Telegraph Machines © SCIWAY —
Johnny Norris (left) is the president of the Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum. He spent almost half a century working for the railroad and is happy to share the wealth of knowledge he accumulated. Standing to his right is vice-president Luther Folk. You can read more about both of these men and the Branchville Museum in Sandlapper Magazine’s Autumn 2004 article, Branchville: Junction of the Past and Future.
— Johnny Norris & Luther Folk © SCIWAY —
Copyright: All images in the SC Picture Project remain the property of the photographer or artist.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.
Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaufort Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Camden Charleston Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Denmark Dillon Easley Edgefield Edisto Island Elloree Florence Folly Beach Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Greenville Greenwood Greer Hilton Head Historic Houses Historic Photos Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms James Island Kiawah Island Kingstree Lakes Lancaster Latta Laurens Lexington Lighthouses Little River Manning McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mt Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ridgeway Rivers Rock Hill Saluda Savannah River Site SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Spartanburg Sports St Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee
SCIWAY . . . "sky-way" . . . South Carolina's Information HighWAY
© 2014 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.