Newry Mill – Oconee County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Oconee County Photos | Newry Mill
The vine-covered central section of the massive Newry Mill still towers over the abandoned textile plant and small village, where water first turned one of the mill’s power wheels on June 14, 1894. It was the first textile village in Oconee County. Around 1905, steam engines and boilers were added to increase production. Today, the old mill and historic village linger along the Keowee River at the base of Duke Power Company’s dike impounding Lake Keowee.
The mill was established by William Ashmead Courtenay, a Charleston native who later served in the War between the States as a captain of the Washington Light Infantry. He also made his mark as the Mayor of Charleston and among other accomplishments, suggested the initiation of the South Carolina Historical Commission, which in 1967 became the SC Department of Archives.
Today, the mill and its village are known as the Newry Historic District, which is listed in the National Historic Register. The district contains 118 buildings including the mill complex, a post office, a village church, and many residences all within 250 acres. The ruins of Innisfallen, the house of William Courtenay, can be found on the southwest ridge near the village.
SCIWAY thanks Jerry Stafford of Seneca for providing this great historical information and picture that he took in October 2010.
Many Newry residents and visitors believe that the old mill could be haunted. Watch a video of two brave guys exploring the inside of the Newry Mill!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.