Newberry County Courthouse – Newberry, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Newberry County Photos | Newberry County Courthouse
This courthouse was built to replace the old courthouse, which was constructed in 1851 and now serves as Newberry’s Community Hall and Chamber of Commerce. Made from red brick and terracotta, the current courthouse was designed in the neoclassical style by famed architect Frank Pierce Milburn. Milburn designed several other historic South Carolina buildings, including the South Carolina State House, the old Anderson County Courthouse, and the Gibbes Museum of Art in Charleston.
The courthouse consists of three stories and a basement, and it is marked by Ionic brick columns at its entrance. The building was enlarged in 1938, with a rear addition designed by Columbia architect and Prosperity native Heyward Singley. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
SCIWAY thanks Stephen Brenton of Ladson, who took this picture in November 2011.