The Manor – Bishopville, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Lee County Photos | The Manor
This Neo-Classical manse in downtown Bishopville was built for successful cotton farmer and Sumter native Edward Tisdale. Four years in the making, the home was begun in 1914 but not completed until 1918. Tisdale hired Sumter architect J.H. Johnson to design the lavish home.
In the early 1900s Tisdale relocated to Bishopville from Sumter to benefit from Lee County‘s booming cotton industry. Not only did he grow the crop on his vast properties, but he also established two cotton gins in town – one on Main Street and another on Durant Street. Both were operating by 1909. The great wealth he accrued from the cotton business led to the construction of this home, which he called The Manor.
In the early 1920s cotton prices began to drop and production slowed. By 1923 neither of Tisdale’s cotton gins were in operation. Tisdale continued to suffer financially when he lost most of his savings in the stock market crash of 1929. However, he was able to remain in his home until his death in 1960. Following his death, Tisdale’s son acquired The Manor.
The Manor is listed in the National Register, which notes the following:
The Manor is one of the best examples of early twentieth-century architecture built in Bishopville. Its Neo-Classical design was the work of architect J.H. Johnson of Sumter. It was begun in 1914 but was not completely finished until 1918. The house was built by Edward Tisdale who was one of Bishopville’s leading cotton merchants of the early twentieth century. Tisdale was a farmer and businessman who lived in Sumter until the early 1900s. He moved to Bishopville during its boom years to take advantage of the growing cotton industry.
Tisdale amassed a sizeable fortune through the cotton industry by 1914 when he began his house on Main Street. The house is a two-story, rectangular brick building with a gable roof and two interior brick chimneys. On the main façade is a free standing, two-story portico with six wooden Corinthian columns. Above the columns is an entablature with round medallions in the frieze and dentils. On the roof of the portico is a balustrade and decorative railing. The interior details include coffering in the ceiling, dentils, urn and garland designs and other classical motifs. At the rear of the house are two original, one-story brick, hipped roof buildings which serve as a garage and storage area for the main house.
The Manor Info
Address: 529 North Main Street, Bishopville, SC 29010
The Manor Map
The Manor Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of The Manor, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.