Mt Zion Presbyterian Church – Bishopville, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Lee County Photos | Mt Zion Presbyterian Church
The historic Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church in Bishopville was constructed in 1911, and its congregation has been established since 1809.
Its historical marker reads: “This church was established in 1809. Its first building, a frame church, was built 1.5 mi. N on Broad Branch. The congregation moved to this site in 1829 and built a second church, also a frame building, in the 1830s. Mt. Zion’s longest serving minister, Rev. William M. Reid, was the pastor here from 1833 to 1872. The cemetery here dates from 1830, and the session house was built in 1851. A third frame church, built in 1855, burned in 1910. The present Neo-Classical Revival brick church, designed by the firm of Wilson & Sompayrac, was built in 1911.”
Mt Zion has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 2003.
Many thanks to Michael Stroud of Bluffton for providing this picture and historical information.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.