Little River – Horry County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Horry County Photos | Little River
Native American tribes who lived in this coastal area called the nearby stream Mineola, which means “little river.” Fisherman and farmers began settling in Little River during the 1600s and 1700s, which makes it one of the oldest settlements in our state. During his 1791 tour of South Carolina, President George Washington even stopped here to share dinner with Revolutionary War veteran James Cochran.
In the 1850s, the village gained prosperity by shipping lumber and naval stores. Little River had a sawmill, a water house, many stores, a school, and a bank. The Civil War put an end to the shipping industry due to blockades, but a local salt works produced salt for the Confederate Army and kept the economy afloat.
Little River remains unincorporated, but it is growing quickly. The area has much to offer – a new post office, schools, golf courses, new homes, and bed-and-breakfast inns. And like many coastal towns, the fresh seafood is a favorite among residents and visitors alike!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.