Horry County Courthouse – Conway, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Horry County Photos | Horry County Courthouse
Horry County’s first courthouse was constructed in the early 1800s. It served the county until 1825, when a new courthouse was completed on Main Street. This second courthouse was designed by noted Charleston architect Robert Mills in the popular Greek Revival style. Although it now serves as Conway’s City Hall, locals still refer to it as the “Old Courthouse.”
The current courthouse (pictured here) was built during Conway’s most significant period of growth. Many of the oak trees on the courthouse grounds were planted by L.W. Brown, who served as Clerk of Court from 1909 to 1927. The courthouse has been renovated several times; the east and west wings were added in 1964.