Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church – McPhersonville, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Hampton County Photos | Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church
Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church
The Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel of Prince William Parish is a big name for this little church in McPhersonville. Located in Hampton County, local non-Anglicans formed this congregation in 1743. It was incorporated in 1785.
McPhersonville was once a summer village for wealthy planters, and in 1833, church members built this chapel for their seasonal worship. It is the only pre-Civil War structure in McPhersonville. During the Civil War Union troops used the chapel as a hospital and campsite.
Membership dropped in the twentieth century as the regional economy fell. The congregation finally dissolved in 1967, though First Presbyterian Church in Beaufort maintains the building today.
The Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel of Prince William Parish is listed in the National Register, which adds the following architectural details:
Constructed ca. 1833, Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel is the only pre-Civil War structure remaining in the village of McPhersonville. This village was built on high ground away from the rice fields in the midst of a tall pine forest. Built by the planters of Prince William Parish who resided in the village during the summer months, the one-story frame building is in the Greek Revival style with later Victorian features.
Since it was created as a summer chapel, Stoney Creek is plain and austere, as one would expect for a Presbyterian congregation. It boasts an imposing façade with four Doric columns supporting a pedimented roof, sash windows with semi-elliptical transoms, and a round stained glass window. An octagonal steeple was added in 1890. The lantern of the steeple features arched 6-light windows on four sides. A small wooden finial rests atop the conical roof. The interior is very simple with plain plaster walls, original wooden pews, and wide pine floors. The site was used as a hospital and the grounds for a campsite by Federal troops. Regular worship at the chapel dwindled due to the economy and lack of growth in the community. As a result the congregation was dissolved in 1967.
Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church Info
Address: 1 block north of US 17, McPhersonville, SC
GPS Coordinates: 32.191944,-80.915
Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church Map
Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Stoney Creek Presbyterian Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!