Ninety Six – Greenwood County, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Greenwood County Photos | Ninety Six
The Town of Ninety Six dates back to colonial times, when it began as a settlement at the 96th milepost on a trail used by traders. A small store at this milepost provided supplies for the traveling traders and was a popular place to stop during the 1700s.
Ninety Six, located in Greenwood County, is famous for its Revolutionary War history. The first land battle of the war was fought here during November of 1775. American forces quickly constructed a fort of wood and straw and dug in for a long fight. The British army was unable to oust the Patriot fighters from their post, and the battle eventually ended in a truce.
The British eventually fortified Ninety Six, and built a wall around the village in the shape of a star. This fort became known as the ‘Star Fort’ and was later overrun by American forces. Its ruins still stand today.
Throughout the 1700s and 1800s, the town’s population rose and fell, and even its location fluctuated. Ninety Six was officially incorporated in 1905. Special thanks to Ann Helms of Spartanburg, for sharing this photo with us. She took it in 2010.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.