South Carolina Picture Project

Winyah Indigo Society Hall – Georgetown, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Georgetown County Photos  |  Winyah Indigo Society Hall





Winyah Indigo Society Hall


Winyah Indigo Society Hall in Georgetown looks today much as it did in the historical photos below. The society was formed by Georgetown planters more than 250 years ago as a “convivial club.” Beginning in the early 1740s, these wealthy men met in a tavern on the first Friday of every month to discuss news from England as well as matters pertaining to the lucrative indigo industry. (Some sources say it was Nathaniel Tregagle’s Old Oak Tavern on Bay Street, and others say it was a tavern at the corner of Front and Broad streets.) Indigo, Georgetown’s first cash crop, was used to make blue dye, and in fact, tradition holds that early members could pay membership dues with a portion of their harvest. Thomas Lynch, Sr., owner of Hopsewee Plantation and a representative to the Continental Congress, was the society’s first president.

Winyah Indigo Society Hall

Gazie Nagle of Charleston, 2015 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The Winyah Indigo Society received its official charter from King George III in either 1757 or 1758 (sources differ). A few years earlier, in 1753, the society had established one of the nation’s earliest free schools, the Winyah Indigo School. Nearly a century later, in 1857, the society built this hall to replace an earlier structure. It was designed by renowned architect E.B. White, who created many notable South Carolina structures, including the French Hugeunot Church in Charleston. The school met here before moving to its own building, completed in 1908.

Winyah Indigo Society Hall Historical

Internet Archive Book Images, The Romance of Lower Carolina, 1915

The Winyah Indigo Society also sponsored the creation of the Georgetown Library Society towards the end of the eighteenth century. The library society collected news materials from major American cities as well as London and Edinburgh. When the society hall was built, the collection was housed in the new facility. The Civil War broke out shortly after the hall was completed, and classes were disrupted when Union troops used the hall as a hospital. The school reopened in the hall in 1872. Materials preserved during the occupation of the building are now housed in the Georgetown County Public Library.

Winyah Society Hall Postcard

In 1894, President Glover Cleveland visited Georgetown and made a speech before the society’s members. Today the Winyah Indigo Society Hall serves as a popular event venue. It was fully restored in 2004 and stands as one of Georgetown’s most distinctive landmarks. The society remains active and awards an annual scholarship to the valedictorian of Georgetown High School.

Indigo Society Hall Historical

Interior Pictures of Winyah Indigo Society Hall


Winyah Society Hallway

Paige Sawyer of Georgetown, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Winyah Society Hall East Room

Paige Sawyer of Georgetown, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Winyah Society Hall West Room

Paige Sawyer of Georgetown, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Winyah Society Hall Ballroom

Paige Sawyer of Georgetown, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Winyah Indigo Society Hall is listed in the National Register as part of the Georgetown Historic District:


Third oldest city in South Carolina, Georgetown is significant historically, militarily, agriculturally and architecturally. Georgetown was laid out as a city in 1729. In 1735 Georgetown was conveyed to three trustees. A plan of the city was attached to the deed and was the first plan to be preserved. Included in the plan were 174.5 acres for the town and 100 acres for a commons. The town acreage was divided into blocks by five streets running at right angles to the river. Much physical evidence of the past remains. The oldest existing structure in Georgetown is a dwelling which dates from ca. 1737. There are approximately twenty-eight additional 18th century structures as well as eighteen buildings erected during the 19th century prior to the Civil War. The existing structures—homes, churches, public buildings—are of both historical and architectural significance and are situated on heavily shaded, wide streets. The architecture ranges from the simplicity of early colonial, or Georgian, to the elaborate rice plantation era, such as Classical Revival.


Winyah Indigo Society Hall Info


Address: 509 Prince Street, Georgetown, SC 29440
GPS Coordinates: 33.365140,-79.279220
Website: http://www.winyahindigohall.com/


Winyah Indigo Society Hall Map




Winyah Indigo Society Hall – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Winyah Indigo Society Hall, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Share Your Thoughts!


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Winyah Indigo Society Hall - Related Entries


Winyah Indigo Society Hall

Winyah Indigo School

Charles Fyffe House

Morgan Park
Morgan Park
Georgetown


Kaminski Hardware Building

Hopsewee House Front View

Messiah Baptist Church

Hobcaw Barony
Hobcaw Barony
Georgetown


St. Ann’s
St. Ann’s
Georgetown





SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2017 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.