Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church – Georgetown, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Georgetown County Photos | Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church
Bricks for the church were collected as early as 1740, while the cornerstone was not laid until 1745. Construction was completed two years later and the first service was held on August 16, 1747. The church is constructed from English red bricks held together with local oyster shell mortar. While the design is typical of many colonial churches, it does have several notable features including English stained glass windows and a Jacobean gable.
The interior is lined with traditional box pews and features hand-carved woodwork and flagstone flooring. The church was severely damaged during the Revolutionary War but received repairs and several additions in 1809. The tower and steeple were not added until 1824.
Several notable South Carolinians, including Governor Robert Francis Withers Allston, are buried in the church’s cemetery.
For more information, please visit the church’s website.
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.