Prince Frederick Church – Plantersville, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Georgetown County Photos | Prince Frederick Church
The Prince Frederick’s Episcopal Church ruins can be found near Plantersville in Georgetown County. The church was named in honor of Prince Frederick of Wales, the son of King George II. Construction was completed in 1876, and the church became a focal point of religious life for early Pee Dee settlers. Today, this tower and facade are all that remain.
As the rice economy declined in Georgetown, Prince Federick’s parishioners moved away to larger cities to find work. The church was abandoned, and time took its toll on the structure. Its remaining buttresses and pinnacles are examples of Gothic style architecture typically used during the 19th century. The ruins and churchyard were listed in the National Historic Register in 1974.
The rest of the church was declared hazardous and dismantled in 1966. However, its historic ruins and 19th century graveyard – where renowned local rice planters Hayne Allston, Plowden Weston, and William Sparkman are buried – make it worth a visit.
See a historical picture of Prince Frederick’s before it was partially torn down.
Learn more about the rise and fall of rice plantations at the Georgetown Rice Museum.