South Carolina Picture Project

Kaminski House – Georgetown, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Georgetown County Photos  |  Kaminski House



The Kaminski House Museum sits between the Sampit River and Front Street in historic Georgetown. The home was built in 1769 by wealthy merchant Paul Trapier – sometimes called the “King of Georgetown.” Trapier moved to Georgetown from Berkeley County to open a small shop. He formed partnerships as his business grew and became heavily involved in shipping. Trapier turned to politics in 1776 and was elected the following year to the Second Continental Congress, but unfortunately he died before being able to serve.

Harold Kaminski House

Pamela Bohnenstiehl of Charleston, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The house took on the Kaminski name when it was purchased in 1931 by Harold and Julia Kaminski. The son of Heiman Kaminski, one Georgetown’s most affluent merchants during the late 1800s, Harold served as mayor of Georgetown. He was a strong advocate for the Coast Highway, improvements to the Intracoastal Waterway, and affordable electricity for the city. Upon her death, Julia willed the house and its furnishings to the city in remembrance of her husband. The house is still brimming with American and English antiques and art.

Kaminsky House Porch

Linda Brown of Kingstree, 2016 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Kaminski House Georgetown

Brandon Coffey of Charleston, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

See a historic photo of the Kaminski House.

The Kaminski house is listed in the National Register as part of the Georgetown Historic District:

Third oldest city in South Carolina, Georgetown is significant historically, militarily, agriculturally and architecturally. Georgetown was laid out as a city in 1729. In 1735 Georgetown was conveyed to three trustees. A plan of the city was attached to the deed and was the first plan to be preserved. Included in the plan were 174.5 acres for the town and 100 acres for a commons. The town acreage was divided into blocks by five streets running at right angles to the river. Much physical evidence of the past remains. The oldest existing structure in Georgetown is a dwelling which dates from ca. 1737. There are approximately twenty-eight additional 18th century structures as well as eighteen buildings erected during the 19th century prior to the Civil War. The existing structures—homes, churches, public buildings—are of both historical and architectural significance and are situated on heavily shaded, wide streets. The architecture ranges from the simplicity of early colonial, or Georgian, to the elaborate rice plantation era, such as Classical Revival.



Kaminski House Info


Address: 1003 Front Street, Georgetown, SC 29440
GPS Coordinates: 33.368048,-79.286967
Website: http://kaminskimuseum.org/

Kaminski House Map



Kaminski House – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Kaminski House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


If You Don't Have a Facebook Account, Please Comment Below








Related Pages


Winyah Indigo Society Hall

Winyah Indigo School

Charles Fyffe House

Morgan Park
Morgan Park
Georgetown


Kaminski Hardware Building

Hopsewee House Front View

Messiah Baptist Church

Hobcaw Barony
Hobcaw Barony
Georgetown


St. Ann’s
St. Ann’s
Georgetown





SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2016 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.