South Carolina Picture Project

Kaminski Hardware Building – Georgetown, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Georgetown County Photos  |  Kaminski Hardware Building



Today this former store in the heart of Georgetown belongs to the Georgetown County Historical Society and is part of the notable Georgetown Rice Museum, which stands next door. The first two floors of the striking structure were built in 1842 for Stephen Rouquie of nearby Rural Hall Plantation, who was a prosperous merchant as well as a planter. During the Civil War, the building’s second floor was the site where Captain Thomas West Daggett constructed the torpedo that sunk the Harvest Moon in Winyah Bay on March 1, 1865. Following the war Rouquie returned to Rural Hall to continue rice planting, and in 1867 merchant Heiman Kaminski leased the building for his hardware store, finally acquiring it in 1869. He added the third story and a rear addition by 1878, and the store flourished into the twentieth century along with his other businesses in the rice, shipping, and timber industries. Kaminski died in 1923.

Kaminski Hardware Building

Chris Robart of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada 2011 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Kaminski’s son, Harold Kaminski, continued his father’s illustrious Georgetown legacy and even served as mayor of Georgetown from 1930 through 1935. His home, known as the Kaminski House, is currently a museum. The Georgetown County Historical Society formed in 1968 and acquired the adjacent town clock and Old Market Building in 1970, establishing the Rice Museum inside the historic structures. Three years later the organization procured the Kaminsky Hardware Building and restored it between 1978 and 1981. In 1992 the Browns Ferry Vessel was added to the third floor of the building as a permanent exhibit. Today the former hardware store houses the Maritime Museum Gallery, the Prevost Art Gallery, and the Museum Gift Shop.

Browns Ferry Vessel


Browns Ferry Vessel

Bill Fitzpatrick of Taylors © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The eighteenth century cargo ship seen above has been carefully restored and declared the “most important single nautical discovery in the United States to date” by anthropologists worldwide.

Many years ago, a dive instructor licensed by the SC Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology found this historic vessel on the bottom of the Black River at Browns Ferry in Georgetown County. He recognized the significance of his discovery and gave his rights to the vessel to the Institute for Scientific Investigation. The ship was raised on August 28, 1976 and, after 16 years of restoration, was moved to its current home on the third floor of the Kaminsky Hardware Building. The roof had to be lifted off so the vessel could be lowered into the exhibit area. The ship is the oldest on exhibit in the United States, predating all other ships by 50 years.

The vessel was primarily sail-driven but was small enough to be rowed or poled along if necessary. It has a flat hull, which allowed it to be slid ashore for easy loading and unloading.

Many artifacts were salvaged from the ship, including belt buckles, china, and coins, which are all on display at the museum. What caused the boat to sink still remains unclear. Chris Amer, an archaeologist who studied the ship wreckage, simply hinted, “we found a lot of wine bottles that went down with the vessel.”

The Kaminsky Hardware Building is listed in the National Register as part of the Georgetown Historic District:

Third oldest city in South Carolina, Georgetown is significant historically, militarily, agriculturally and architecturally. Georgetown was laid out as a city in 1729. In 1735 Georgetown was conveyed to three trustees. A plan of the city was attached to the deed and was the first plan to be preserved. Included in the plan were 174.5 acres for the town and 100 acres for a commons. The town acreage was divided into blocks by five streets running at right angles to the river. Much physical evidence of the past remains. The oldest existing structure in Georgetown is a dwelling which dates from ca. 1737. There are approximately twenty-eight additional 18th century structures as well as eighteen buildings erected during the 19th century prior to the Civil War. The existing structures—homes, churches, public buildings—are of both historical and architectural significance and are situated on heavily shaded, wide streets. The architecture ranges from the simplicity of early colonial, or Georgian, to the elaborate rice plantation era, such as Classical Revival.



Kaminski Hardware Building Info


Address: 633 Front Street, Georgetown, SC 29442
GPS Coordinates: 33.365464,-79.282382

Kaminski Hardware Building Map



Kaminski Hardware Building – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Kaminski Hardware Building, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


Please Comment Below


The South Carolina Picture Project is a volunteer project which earns no profit. We work hard to ensure its accuracy, but if you see a mistake, please know that it is not intentional and that we are more than happy to update our information if it is incorrect. That said, our goal is to create something positive for our state, so please make your comments constructive if you would like them to be published. Thank you!







Related Pages


Winyah Indigo Society Hall

Winyah Indigo School

Charles Fyffe House

Morgan Park
Morgan Park
Georgetown


Kaminski Hardware Building

Hopsewee House Front View

Messiah Baptist Church

Hobcaw Barony
Hobcaw Barony
Georgetown


St. Ann’s
St. Ann’s
Georgetown





SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2016 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.