Georgetown‘s Courthouse sits on the corner of Screven and Prince streets. It was designed by renowned architect and South Carolina native Robert Mills, who declared the building a “great ornament to the town.”
The courthouse was built between 1823-1824 for an appropriation of $12,000. It is designed in a classical-revival style that was popular during the 1800s. It was built to replace a previous courthouse that had been damaged by two devastating hurricanes.
Mills, who is famous for designing the Washington Monument, also designed many buildings throughout South Carolina during his time as commissioner of the Board of Public Works. His contributions include many courthouses, jails, the campus of the University of South Carolina, and the famous Fireproof Building in Charleston.