The Kaminski House Museum sits between the Sampit River and Front Street. The home was originally built in 1769 by a wealthy merchant, Paul Trapier, who was sometimes known as “The King of Georgetown.”
Trapier moved to Georgetown from Berkeley County to open a small shop. He formed partnerships as his business grew, and he became heavily involved in shipping. Trapier turned to politics in 1776 and was elected the following year to the Second Continental Congress, but unfortunately he died before being able to serve.
The house took on the Kaminski name when it was purchased in 1931 by Harold and Julia Kaminski. (See a photo of Harold and Julia Kaminski.) Harold was the son of Heiman Kaminski, one Georgetown’s most affluent merchants during the late 1800s. Harold served as mayor of Georgetown, and he was a strong advocate for the Coast Highway, improvements to the Intracoastal Waterway, and affordable electricity for the city.
Upon her death, Julia willed the house and its furnishings to the city in remembrance of her husband. The house is still brimming with American and English antiques and art.