Built in 1877, the Old Vidalia School in Latta was the first school in town. It started with twelve students, who each paid $3.50 tuition per year. By 1898, a new school had to be built to accommodate the growing number of students and Vidalia fell into disuse until it was recently restored and moved next to the old Latta post office.
This is the interior of the Old Vidalia School in Latta. The furnishings are reminiscent of many other one-room schools in South Carolina. Vidalia was Latta’s first school and was hand built in 1877.
See other photos of Latta.