Welsh Neck Baptist Church – Society Hill, South Carolina
South Carolina | SC Picture Project | Darlington County Photos | Welsh Neck Baptist Church
The Welsh Neck area in the bend of the the Great Pee Dee River opposite Society Hill was first discovered by Welsh Baptist settlers in 1736. These Baptists, who had traveled from Delaware, petitioned the colonial government for a land grant along the river. They received a large tract along both sides of the Great Pee Dee, and more settlers arrived and formed Welsh Neck Baptist Church in 1738.
Once the church was established, the settlement flourished as a community. Welsh Neck Baptist served as a mother church for other fledgling Baptist churches in the area, and the land along the Great Pee Dee soon became densely populated. However, settling by the river turned out to be a mistake, as the land was prone to serious flooding.
By 1798 the settlement had dispersed to higher ground on both sides of the river which became known as the Long Bluff and Society Hill communities. Welsh Neck Baptist Church relocated to the latter and retained its name. Today the former Welsh Neck settlement is woods. The brick building pictured here was built in 1938 and is the church’s third structure to occupy the present site.
Welsh Neck Baptist Church is listed in the National Register as part of the Welsh Neck-Long Bluff-Society Hill Historic District, which says the following:
The Welsh Neck-Long Bluff-Society Hill area is one rich in historic significance. The Welsh Neck community was an early religious center (a ca. 1738 Baptist church was established here) for the Pee Dee region, and Long Bluff served as a judicial center. The courthouse at Long Bluff, with its jail, tavern, and supporting buildings, was a center of activity for the Upper Pee Dee region during the Revolution. Few small communities have contributed more to the public in the way of culture, education and leadership than has Society Hill. It has numbered among its population outstanding leaders in religion and education, jurists, statesmen, soldiers, authors, and agriculturists.
The Society Hill Library Society was formed in 1822. This group grew out of the St. David’s Society, founded 1777 in Cheraw, which had a wide-spread influence and was a main factor in making Society Hill a center of intelligent leadership in the Pee Dee for a century and a half. This is a rural community with many fine antebellum homes in the Georgian mode. Constructed on large lots or in wooden settings, many are two-storied clapboard structures with one-story front verandas. Nineteenth century mercantile establishments still operate in unadorned frame buildings of a purely functional design. Within the entire district there are approximately 250 structures. Welsh Neck and Long Bluff, both now unoccupied wooded areas, are considered excellent potential archaeological sites.
Welsh Neck Baptist Church Info
Address: 112 Church Street, Society Hill, SC 29593
Welsh Neck Baptist Church Map
Welsh Neck Baptist Church Add Info and More Photos
The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of Welsh Neck Baptist Church, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!
You may not use them in any form without written consent.
SCIWAY does not provide contact information for photographers.