John Westfield Lide House – Darlington, South Carolina

South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Darlington County Photos  |  John Westfield Lide House

This antebellum home was built around 1840 in the former Springville community of Darlington. Springville was established in 1820 as a summer retreat for planters who worked the lower lands of the Pee Dee River. The land encompassing Springville was higher and its soil more porous, allowing those who sought refuge here to escape the heat and mosquitoes of summer. Mosquitoes can cause malaria, and they are less prevalent at higher altitudes where standing water is not a concern. The area also abounded with fresh mineral springs.

John Westfield Lide House

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2011 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

John Westfield Lide, son of Major Robert Lide and Mary Westfield Holloway Lide, belonged to the third graduating class of South Carolina College, now the University of South Carolina, finishing in 1809. After graduation, he moved back to Darlington District (now Darlington County). He became a successful planter and represented his district in the South Carlina House of Representatives from 1822 through 1825.

John W. Lide Marker

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2011 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

By 1840 Lide had moved to Springville and built this Greek Revival home. Though Springville never incorporated, summer residents began to make the community their permanent residence around this time. Incomes still derived largely from plantations, however, and following the loss of slave labor in 1865, planters were forced to seek new ways to secure their livelihoods. As a result, Springville was deserted soon after the close of the Civil War. Today the extinct retreat village is part of Darlington.

John Westfield Lide Marker

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2011 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The John Westfield Lide House is listed in the National Register, which notes the following:

The John W. Lide House is significant as one of the six remaining intact residences of the once-active nineteenth century pineland community of Springville. Believed to have been built ca. 1830-1840, this house reflects the architectural heritage and social history of southern antebellum society and is a major element of the Springville planter community. John W. Lide was one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Darlington County in the mid-twentieth century. He was also a two-term member of the state House of Representatives, serving from 1822-25.

The John W. Lide House is a two-story, rectangular, central-hall, four-over-four plan, frame residence with a low-pitched hip roof. The house has two massive, stuccoed brick, interior chimneys. Exterior sheathing is of weatherboard and the foundation is brick piers with brick fill. A full-width, one-story, hip roof porch extends across the entire fa├žade and wraps both side elevations culminating in small rooms on the southeast and southwest corners. The porch roof is supported by paired, square, pine posts resting on freestanding, stuccoed brick piers and features sawn brackets corresponding with the posts supporting the boxed overhanging eave. The property contains one antebellum outbuilding, a rectangular, one-story, braced-frame building with a gable roof, weatherboard siding, and hewn sills.

John Westfield Lide House Info

Address: 1240 Society Hill Road, Darlington, SC 29540

John Westfield Lide House Map

John Westfield Lide House – Add Info and More Photos

The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of John Westfield Lide House, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!

If You Don't Have a Facebook Account, Please Comment Below


Join Us on Facebook
Our 5 Goals
Our Contributors
Add Info
Add Pictures
Search for Pictures
Missing Landmarks


Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Barns & Farms Barnwell Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historic Houses Historic Photos Honea Path Hopkins Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York

© 2016, LLC All rights reserved.