E.W. Cannon House and Store – Hartsville, South Carolina


South Carolina  |  SC Picture Project  |  Darlington County Photos  |  E.W. Cannon House and Store

This beautiful residence in historic Hartsville has served as a home, a post office, and a country store. The original house was built in 1840 as a one-story dwelling by Isham Linton. Elihu W. Cannon acquired the property in 1864 and built a store behind it in 1870.

EW Cannon House and Store

Bill Fitzpatrick of Taylors, 2013 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The store also served as the local post office from 1873 until 1878 when Cannon was postmaster. Cannon held many roles in the Hartsville community, including Civil War lieutenant, merchant, farmer, and politician. By 1880 he merged the original house with his two-story addition, turning the former one-story home into a back wing.

Cannon House And Store

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Cannon House And Store Darlington County

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Cannon Store

Bill Segars of Hartsville, 2010 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The E.W. Cannon House and Store is listed in the National Register, which adds the following:

The E.W. Cannon House and Store are significant as representative examples of the residential and commercial development of Hartsville prior to 1890 and for their association with Elihu W. Cannon (1841-1911), prominent Hartsville farmer and Darlington County politician. The house has architectural integrity from ca. 1880 and incorporates a small one-story ca. 1840 residence built for Isham Linton that now serves as a rear wing. Cannon substantially altered and enlarged the house ca. 1880, and lived here until his death.

This two-story residence is of frame construction with weatherboard siding. It has a rectangular plan, lateral gable roof, and two interior ridge brick chimneys with corbeled caps. A one-story hip roof porch extends across the full façade. The store is located to the rear of the house. Constructed ca. 1870, it is an excellent example of a country store. It is one-and-one-half stories with a rectangular plan and gable roof. The construction is hand-hewn heavy timber frame with log joists and it sits on pole piers. It also served as a post office from 1873 to 1878, when Cannon was Hartsville’s postmaster. The property also includes a ca. 1930 frame garage and a ca. 1880-1900 frame smokehouse.

E.W. Cannon House and Store Info


Address: 612 West Home Avenue, Hartsville, SC 29550

E.W. Cannon House and Store Map



E.W. Cannon House and Store – Add Info and More Photos


The purpose of the South Carolina Picture Project is to celebrate the beauty of the Palmetto State and create a permanent digital repository for our cultural landmarks and natural landscapes. We invite you to add additional pictures (paintings, photos, etc) of E.W. Cannon House and Store, and we also invite you to add info, history, stories, and travel tips. Together, we hope to build one of the best and most loved SC resources in the world!


If You Don't Have a Facebook Account, Please Comment Below









TRENDING

December Newsletter
December Calendar
Add New Info
Add New Pictures
Our 5 Goals

SC CATEGORIES


© 2014 SCIWAY.net, LLC All rights reserved.